• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

away for the night

Chelsey

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I'm worried about leaving my little guy alone for one night. I have an event I need to attend on Wednesday, but I'm driving out tomorrow night. I don't have a timer for Worley's lights yet. Where he is set up in my very small apartment I have to manually change his lights because of limited plug space. If I leave his day light/s on for one night is that okay? I just moved here and don't really know anyone yet, so I wouldn't trust giving them keys to my apartment for the night (or giving them Worley and all his things). I plan to give him a big salad and other treats (that won't bite him) to hold him over until I get back Wednesday afternoon.

What would you suggest to do?

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
for one night he'll be fine. but dont make a habit of it young lady! lol just kidding. you can get an outdoor timer at home depot or such and plug a power strip into it for multiple outlets. outdoor timers for me are more heavy duty and last longer

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi Chelsey!!! Does Worley eat the dry food? You could always leave some of that for him too if he likes it. I notice that any greens that Scarlet doesn't eat wilt by the end of the day and then she will not touch them. @Richard, thanx for the outdoor timer tip, I'll have to remember that once we get the new enclosure and lights setup!!!

Chelsey

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i won't be making a habit out of it, as long as my job doesn't require me too. i have a weekend conference to attend in a month. i'm hoping to find someone to take care of him before then.

ive been meaning to get a power strip and a timer, but I just haven't had the money to yet (I know they're not expensive, but I'm currently working as an AmeriCorps VISTA and I don't make much at all - part of the experience is living at the poverty level) plus I need to find time to get out to a store (before they close)

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i won't be making a habit out of it, as long as my job doesn't require me too. i have a weekend conference to attend in a month. i'm hoping to find someone to take care of him before then.

ive been meaning to get a power strip and a timer, but I just haven't had the money to yet (I know they're not expensive, but I'm currently working as an AmeriCorps VISTA and I don't make much at all - part of the experience is living at the poverty level) plus I need to find time to get out to a store (before they close)

then why would you buy a dragon? they eat a few bucks a day almost in food. you put the horse behind the carriage.

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
then why would you buy a dragon? they eat a few bucks a day almost in food. you put the horse behind the carriage.
We all have to have something to come home too. I was at a point where money was nill but still had a pet to come home too. The nights can get pretty lonely without someone or something to talk to and take care of.

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
As Brett Says we all need something to come home to. We also had a period where we had practically no money coming into the house as my husband had been made redundant, but we still managed to feed our animals. So long as they have their food & someone switching their lights on and off when needed and most importantly a lot of love they will be fine. We went for about a year doing it like that before we could afford to buy our timers and our guys are fine.

Chelsey

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
We all have to have something to come home too. I was at a point where money was nill but still had a pet to come home too. The nights can get pretty lonely without someone or something to talk to and take care of.
Exactly. :)
I'm good at budgeting. I just didn't get every little optional thing right away. Worley is still a baby, he doesn't eat anywhere near a couple dollars a day yet.

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
chelsey, he will be fine. One night isn't going to be the end of the world. We all do it tough and buying bit by bit is fine. Is he healthy? Is he happy? Are you happy? Then chill have a nice night away and Worley will be fine. Think of all the lovin he'll give you when you get back :)

kaykayy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
i think ur little guy will be just fine for the 1 night, u might find that he will sleep a little longer for a couple days because the lighting will obviously affect his sleeping pateren for a few days but hnestly like the other guys said, he will b ok for just the one night, and having no money atm, i know the feeling, we bought our 2 little ones when we had good money coming in then all of a sudden money was tight, but i always put them first, even if all i had in my pocket was £3 and we had no tea, i would spend it on them, its like having children lol, :)

Chelsey

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
its like having children lol, :)

oh yeah it is ha

ps. worley didn't seem to eat much while I was away. he usually picks through his salad mixture to get to his pellets but he didn't seem to eat much of them at all. I gave him a good bit of crickets when I got back, he ate his normal amount, but that was it. i did catch him eating some greens this morning so maybe he just missed me :)

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
my family and i is supposed to go on a camping trip for two days like on the 14th - the 16th we would be back the 16th but i am thinking i will let them go camping and i will stay home with jessie(bd)
i don't really have anyone to come and feed him

kaykayy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Yeh he most likely did miss u, I went away for the night last week, came bk early the next day and spyro had demolished his tank haha, he deffo diid miss u :)

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
just remember they are like having 2 year old children.... ignore them and they play up more to get your attention.

Latest posts