• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Awake one day then sleeps all the next day!

goldie1

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hello Everyone,
I am a newbie with a bearded dragon. Our beardie is a little over a year and we have had her for a week. She was doing great at first eating and active. Then started sleeping all the time, no eating or drinking for a day or two. Then wakes up eats and is active once again. Then the next day back to sleeping all day again. Is this normal behavior for a young beardie? Is she bruminating? Stressed? Eating to much? When she is sleeping all day should we be handling her or leave her alone.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Alot depends on other things in her behaviorisms and husbandry.

Can you describe her caging as well as what type of lights you use, including UVB and her temperatures.

At her age, brumation is definately an option, lets just take a closer look to determine if there is any concern that might cause you trouble a few weeks down the road.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
As ladyknight points out, it could very well be brumation, but your setup will help rule out other possibilities.

goldie1

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
We have her in a 30 gallon tank with a two blue lights for night, one basking light (middle of cage) and one long florescent UVB light. Temp range 83 on cool end and 95-110 in basking light. We have that green turf carpeting (they sell in pet stores), a hiding log that she basks on and is currently sleeping under all day, a water dish and some green foliage. Yesterday she was laying in her salad dish with her salad which I remove at night time.

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
temps sound good what uv rating is the uv tube? is she near any or looking towars any windows? are her temps constant? is she going toilet regular? eliminate all possibilities but if you have real cause for concern please take her to a reputable herp vet just to put your mind at rest
paul

goldie1

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
She is near large bay window but not right in front of it. We use a 18watt 50 Desert UVB Fluorescent bulb. She eliminates every other day or so and the temps/lights are on a timer to be consistent.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'd kill the blue lights. They are not needed and can disrupt their night time sleeping. That is one possibility of why she is sleeping during the day.

The UV light is very important too. Do you know the make and model?

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
if you want to use a night light for beardie use a loww wattage red one, blue can still be seen as a bright light

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
UVB is Zilla correct?
Not the best on the market. It'll run about 4-4.5 months with no drastic decline. I wouldn't trust it after that.

loww wattage red one
they see red better than they see blue. CHE is the answer for night time heat sources.

All seems in order for the caging, with the exceptions noted. We like to recommend a basic fecal to rule out any parasites prior to brumation, so you might consider that if it's in your budget.
During brumation, she should not lose much weight at all. typically 30 grams or less.

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
i read that somewhere on a care sheet on the net, ahh well dont take anythin as rule of thumb lol

Latest posts