• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

At what point should I be concerned?

MyFirstDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a 6 month old female dragon. She had always been a great eater. Eating 30+ large crickets a day and plenty of greens consistently. A week ago I moved her from a 20 gallon tank to a 75 gallon since she was getting so big. I expected her to not eat until she adjusted to her new habitat. But she still refuses crickets and greens and has only pooped once (2 days ago) since the move. I can get her to eat Super Worms but only give her a couple every few days (with calcium or vitamins) to encourage her to eat her other foods. She has lost .3 oz in the last week.

I went from 100W heat lamp and infrared bulbs to 150W due to the larger tank. The temperature seems to be the same as what she's been used to. Also have a 24" T5 HO UVB light. Her lounging hammock is set at an incline so she can move herself to a comfortable distance from the lamps.

Does this seem normal when changing their habitat?

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
relocation stress is normal, its also normal for them to slow down at this time of year. While yours is too young to brumate, she may get lethargic and sleepy. Keep monitoring her weight and keep offering her food, she will eat when she is hungry. They can go for weeks without eating at this time of year, its worrying but normal.

MyFirstDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you! I feel better now. :) I thought she was too young to brumate but had not considered that she may slow down.

Haylo

Bearded Dragon Egg
Dragons can indeed brumate at a young age, my girl hatched mid april and is in brumation now. She stopped basking and barely ate for about 4 days before I figured it out. It is more dependant on their health and weight than age. I was just starting to think she was getting kinda pudgey, and I guess she was! Because her body felt strong enough to brumate.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
She wont fully brumate, my male did that but the female didnt. He went into his hide for 3 weeks but he wasnt fully sleeping, they are still developing at that age. Full brumation can go on for several months, it wont happen until they have fully developed and have the body mass and reserves to do it.
Not all adult beardies brumate though, my friend has 3 and only one brumates, the others just get lethargic.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Just want to point out that you should get another UVB bulb to add to your tank. You need the UVB to cover at least 2/3'rds of the tank. A 24" bulb on a 75g isn't long enough. And when you say that the temps "feel" like what she is used to, what does that mean? You should be measuring the temps with a temp gun or digital probe to make sure they really are the proper temps.

Latest posts