• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

At what age to beard's turn black?

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I just saw a post with a picture of a beardie with a black beard. Very noticeable. I have never seen Dex's chin area turn dark. Even that time I startled him by dropping the food dish near him his chin never turned dark. So at what age do you start seeing all that black if they are stressed or angry? He's around 3 months now.

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hello, I've seen my bearded dragons turn there beard kind of black at about 5 months, and at about 8 months they can turn their beard completely black. But this is just my experience I have no idea if this is true or not.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hello, I've seen my bearded dragons turn there beard kind of black at about 5 months, and at about 8 months they can turn their beard completely black. But this is just my experience I have no idea if this is true or not.
Ohhhh good to know. Could be why I've never seen it turn then. lol He puffs up and opens his mouth likes he's trying to hiss if I startle him, but no black chin. It doesn't happen often, but sometimes I don't realize he's in a zone and he doesn't realize I'm right there and yup . . . he lets me know I just jumped the heck outta him. lololol He gets extra cuddles as I feel bad when it does happen.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I just saw a post with a picture of a beardie with a black beard. Very noticeable. I have never seen Dex's chin area turn dark. Even that time I startled him by dropping the food dish near him his chin never turned dark. So at what age do you start seeing all that black if they are stressed or angry? He's around 3 months now.
You dont want a dragon w/ a black beard that means they are in distress or in pain

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
You dont want a dragon w/ a black beard that means they are in distress or in pain
Yes, I know. :) But I have startled my baby a few times on accident and he did poof up, but his beard didn't turn black so I was wondering at what age their beards did start turning black in reaction to things.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, I know. :) But I have startled my baby a few times on accident and he did poof up, but his beard didn't turn black so I was wondering at what age their beards did start turning black in reaction to things.
It's a sign of distress or pain- or if they see another dragon -