• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Are these damaged nails ok?

Keri

Bearded Dragon Egg
I noticed my beardie had a broken bleeding nail the other day. It looks like the nail cap has lifted off the quick but the cap still looks firmly in place, I can't pull it off. I cleaned it with hydrogen peroxide and put polysporin an'd it looks ok, doesn't look infected but not sure if I should just leave the cap up like that? I also noticed the his back nail also looks a bit bloody but there doesn't look like there's any damage to the nail. He climbs around a lot so he probably hurt his nails doing that but just wanted to know if it's ok to keep cleaning them and they should be ok on thier own? See attached pictures

Attachments

• 20190330_180612.jpg
    20190330_180612.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 43
  • 20190327_183157.jpg
    20190327_183157.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 45
  • 20190330_180651.jpg
    20190330_180651.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 44

mamaof2dragons

Juvenile Dragon
do not remove the flap it will come off on its own..soak in betadine solution with water it looks like week tea. he may loose the whole claw but they do grow back , just not as nice as the original.

HaggridTheBearded

Hatchling Dragon
My poor baby I cut one a bit too short, his nails are SO tiny, and my eyesight not as good as when I used to trim my cat's nails on a regular basis. I felt bad when I saw the bit of blood. But only a minor disaster compared to when I noticed the whole nail was missing on the other front leg/foot. Not sure how it happened, or when specifically, but it happened when I was doing his nails. My guess is he jerked away as I was about to trim it and it got pulled out. There was not any thing near by he could have gotten it caught on. Tiny bit of totally pure, ok for people to ingest, lavender essential oil and the bleeding stopped quickly and both sites look great so far.

So glad to hear it will grow back.

Latest posts