• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Are there sometimes just lazy bearded dragons??

Joesmom

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
So we’ve had our BD for a little over 2 years. She’s never been super lively but in the past has been interested in climbing and generally curious about things when she’s out. She also used to glass surf some. We have her in a 100-gallon tank with a long 10.0 UVB tube light as well as an MVB light for basking (since we have a screen top - even though we cut holes in the screen to let the UVB through we figured we should double up in case the long light isn’t exactly lined up to match the hole all the time - I know - it’s kind of a pain). Just replaced both bulbs this weekend. We have temp and humidity gauges and monitor them to make sure temps are good. We also dust food with calcium and multivitamins and provide fresh greens daily along with yellow squash and then crickets about 3-4 times a week with an occasional horn worm or wax worms about once a week. We try to take her out daily but occasionally we have a day with everyone gone and active until dark - with baths about once a week as well. Poop/pee once a week and it looks normal and doesn’t smell terribly bad. So all in all feel like we do a pretty good job providing for her well-being.

Anyway - lately - I’d say over the past few months - she’s just seemed to be more and more lethargic - only occasionally leaving her hammock or moving around the tank in general. She’s taken to only eating her squash - won’t usually touch the greens unless tricked with worms HA. She however will move pretty fast when she senses crickets incoming or a hornworm or wax worm. Chases them down too within the span of a foot or so. When held she seems decently alert - looking around or climbing up to hide in my hair (it’s long). But after a short time she seems to want to find a cushion or chair to hide under instead of hanging out.

She shed recently and I thought that was maybe the issue, but I think all the shed is gone now. Had to bathe with Shed Ease to get it all though. She has been keeping her right eye closed off and on though over the last few months - there isn’t any discharge or swelling and she seems to see crickets fine so was hoping it was shed around the eye maybe?? But nothing is coming loose and we’ve tried to gently massage that area just in case.

So my question is...is it possible we just have a lazy bearded dragon? If she wants to lay in the same place day after day but hops out of her hammock or crawls out of her cave for crickets is it okay to overlook her other lazy behaviors?? These guys are so frustrating sometimes!!

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I seen your other post on the girls with her beardie closeing one eye, usually its the lighting, can u tell us what brand bulbs ur using? Im not a lighting expert, but i do know what not to use, others will jump in and help with that aspect, to me it sounds like her lighting is off, can you go over distances with bulbs etc. how are u messureing temps? If its with stick ons those are unreliable and only messure air temp, get a digital probe thermometer and put the reading end on the basking spot in the middle of the tank then the cool side, shes 2 years old so she could be going through hormone changes , my beardie is about a year and 3 months and she’s starting to get lazy and seeking cozy spots so it could be that.

BeardieLover<3

Juvenile Dragon
I seen your other post on the girls with her beardie closeing one eye, usually its the lighting, can u tell us what brand bulbs ur using? Im not a lighting expert, but i do know what not to use, others will jump in and help with that aspect, to me it sounds like her lighting is off, can you go over distances with bulbs etc. how are u messureing temps? If its with stick ons those are unreliable and only messure air temp, get a digital probe thermometer and put the reading end on the basking spot in the middle of the tank then the cool side, shes 2 years old so she could be going through hormone changes , my beardie is about a year and 3 months and she’s starting to get lazy and seeking cozy spots so it could be that.
Could it also be brumation? Or the beginning of it? Correct lighting is good to have though even if its not the problem.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Could it also be brumation? Or the beginning of it? Correct lighting is good to have though even if its not the problem.
Could be very likely especially if the bulbs arnt great or are old, I would think the majority of peoples beardies would b coming out of brumation though? We are approaching spring here soon, definitely state temps are a factor.

BeardieLover<3

Juvenile Dragon
Could be very likely especially if the bulbs arnt great or are old, I would think the majority of peoples beardies would b coming out of brumation though? We are approaching spring here soon, definitely state temps are a factor.
Yeah depending on where you live. We will see what they say

Joesmom

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
We’re in southern US so shouldn’t be brumation. I took some pics of our setup and checked temps when I got home since we replaced the MVB with a regular 100-watt - they’re attached here. Give me your thoughts. The last pic shows the type of UVB bulb and the next to last pic gives an idea of distance from hammock to basking fixture - the ruler actually measures 18 inches. The screen has been cut underneath both fixtures to allow the UVB to penetrate. My concern now is that she’s usually only under the long light for UVB when eating or when in her hide (and then it’s really only indirectly hitting her). With the hinge in the middle there’s no good way to overlap the lighting. Basking temp on the front hammock was 100.6 and temp on other side registered 78 with a humidity of about 26. We picked her up this morning from underneath hammocks to put her under basking bulb and according to my oldest she was there at least for an hour or two. When we got home she was in her hide. However I had gotten more crickets and when I lifted the hide up and she saw them she became interested and ate like 12. I think she just wants to drive us crazy LOL.

Attachments

• 9FE24FC6-0025-4C0B-9FA7-D1569E4D6E0D.jpeg
    9FE24FC6-0025-4C0B-9FA7-D1569E4D6E0D.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 13
  • 95582895-4E59-4776-BF82-A58919C0FDB4.jpeg
    95582895-4E59-4776-BF82-A58919C0FDB4.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
  • FC518B3E-533C-467B-AB81-AA8E98FCA2F4.jpeg
    FC518B3E-533C-467B-AB81-AA8E98FCA2F4.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
  • F5DC4062-25D5-4EFF-9DB1-465351AFAE8A.jpeg
    F5DC4062-25D5-4EFF-9DB1-465351AFAE8A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
So we’ve had our BD for a little over 2 years. She’s never been super lively but in the past has been interested in climbing and generally curious about things when she’s out. She also used to glass surf some. We have her in a 100-gallon tank with a long 10.0 UVB tube light as well as an MVB light for basking (since we have a screen top - even though we cut holes in the screen to let the UVB through we figured we should double up in case the long light isn’t exactly lined up to match the hole all the time - I know - it’s kind of a pain). Just replaced both bulbs this weekend. We have temp and humidity gauges and monitor them to make sure temps are good. We also dust food with calcium and multivitamins and provide fresh greens daily along with yellow squash and then crickets about 3-4 times a week with an occasional horn worm or wax worms about once a week. We try to take her out daily but occasionally we have a day with everyone gone and active until dark - with baths about once a week as well. Poop/pee once a week and it looks normal and doesn’t smell terribly bad. So all in all feel like we do a pretty good job providing for her well-being.

Anyway - lately - I’d say over the past few months - she’s just seemed to be more and more lethargic - only occasionally leaving her hammock or moving around the tank in general. She’s taken to only eating her squash - won’t usually touch the greens unless tricked with worms HA. She however will move pretty fast when she senses crickets incoming or a hornworm or wax worm. Chases them down too within the span of a foot or so. When held she seems decently alert - looking around or climbing up to hide in my hair (it’s long). But after a short time she seems to want to find a cushion or chair to hide under instead of hanging out.

She shed recently and I thought that was maybe the issue, but I think all the shed is gone now. Had to bathe with Shed Ease to get it all though. She has been keeping her right eye closed off and on though over the last few months - there isn’t any discharge or swelling and she seems to see crickets fine so was hoping it was shed around the eye maybe?? But nothing is coming loose and we’ve tried to gently massage that area just in case.

So my question is...is it possible we just have a lazy bearded dragon? If she wants to lay in the same place day after day but hops out of her hammock or crawls out of her cave for crickets is it okay to overlook her other lazy behaviors?? These guys are so frustrating sometimes!!
If you have a t5 uvb bulb it can sit on the screen but if you have a t8 it has to go inside. The double up will work to because with a t8 the screen block about 50% of the uvb to two of them should be fine

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Ima go out on a limb here and say his basking spot needs to be a tad more sturdy, the dragon needs a flatish surface to pancake out , to me it looks like itd be a struggle to stay in the hammock , but im shure ur guy can manage, you wanna make him getting to the heat bulb as easy as possible, ur lighting is good , but really the uvb should be overlapping with the heat bulb, they need to be working in tandem with eachother, he cant get the full benefit from either if hes just getting the majority of 1, i think 18 inches is to high , I believe you want the bulb between 11-15 , aswell he’s probably lazy cause hes not digesting his food and getting all the nutrition from it, I personally think its still a lighting issue but wait to see what everyone else says

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
And if u need to rescreen the tank , its not to difficult, your kids could even do it.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
And all of this could literally be untrue, and he could just be playing you all and he wants to be picked up and put into the lighg.

BeardieLover<3

Juvenile Dragon
What type of screen do you have? If its fine mesh then the UVB needs to be inside the tank 10-15 inches above the BASKING decor. If its wide holes for the top, then it can be on top of the screen, But still needs to be over the basking area

Joesmom

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
z
And if u need to rescreen the tank , its not to difficult, your kids could even do it.
great point - we could just make a frame ourselves with whatever screening material we want! Problem is we really would need some kind of hinge because it’s a 100-gallon tank and it would be cumbersome to take off the entire top whenever we needed access. May be time to invest in a true reptile enclosure...

Joesmom

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
What type of screen do you have? If its fine mesh then the UVB needs to be inside the tank 10-15 inches above the BASKING decor. If its wide holes for the top, then it can be on top of the screen, But still needs to be over the basking area
It’s fine mesh, but we cut holes jn it to allow the light and UVB to come through. However now that I’ve changed out the MVB for a regular bulb we need to have a place to overlap the long UVB fixture.

Joesmom

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Ima go out on a limb here and say his basking spot needs to be a tad more sturdy, the dragon needs a flatish surface to pancake out , to me it looks like itd be a struggle to stay in the hammock , but im shure ur guy can manage, you wanna make him getting to the heat bulb as easy as possible, ur lighting is good , but really the uvb should be overlapping with the heat bulb, they need to be working in tandem with eachother, he cant get the full benefit from either if hes just getting the majority of 1, i think 18 inches is to high , I believe you want the bulb between 11-15 , aswell he’s probably lazy cause hes not digesting his food and getting all the nutrition from it, I personally think its still a lighting issue but wait to see what everyone else says
Great point. We’ll look into getting something else for basking. Problem is she is really quite a butt when it comes to changing her setup. The last time we did a major change she pouted in her hide for days into weeks and when we took her to the vet because we didn’t know what was wrong it turned out she had made herself dehydrated from a lack of interest in eating because her environment was new. UGH

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Great point. We’ll look into getting something else for basking. Problem is she is really quite a butt when it comes to changing her setup. The last time we did a major change she pouted in her hide for days into weeks and when we took her to the vet because we didn’t know what was wrong it turned out she had made herself dehydrated from a lack of interest in eating because her environment was new. UGH
Beardies are worse than cats i swear, they KNOW we are their subordinates :(

Latest posts