• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Are Canned crickets as a staple ok?

Jerika

Bearded Dragon Egg
Due to my work hours I am not always able to make it to the pet store to get live feeders. I have been getting live as much as possible and started giving my berdie canned crickets as a back up if I ran out of live for a day or two until I got more. The problem is apparently my berdie likes the canned better, a lot better, to the point that he has started refusung to eat the live ones. Thoughts? Suggestions? Has everyone else ever had this happen? And most importantly. Is it bad for my beardie to be eating canned crickets on such a regular basis?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Due to my work hours I am not always able to make it to the pet store to get live feeders. I have been getting live as much as possible and started giving my berdie canned crickets as a back up if I ran out of live for a day or two until I got more. The problem is apparently my berdie likes the canned better, a lot better, to the point that he has started refusung to eat the live ones. Thoughts? Suggestions? Has everyone else ever had this happen? And most importantly. Is it bad for my beardie to be eating canned crickets on such a regular basis?
Not much nutrition in canned jarred frozen or freeze dried anything -- I would switch him over to dubia roaches and start ordering on line - more convenient and most people I know order all their insects / worms on line --- there has been issues w/ the shipping as its taking longer w/ some of the suppliers but I can give you some websites to order from if you like -

Jerika

Bearded Dragon Egg
That would be very helpful. Thank you!! I also feed him gut loaded black soldier fly larva witch he seems to still like and he isn't picky about vegetables. For some reason he just really likes the canned crickets over live crickets. It came as a total shock. I have heard dubia are better then crickets anyway so would be good to try!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That would be very helpful. Thank you!! I also feed him gut loaded black soldier fly larva witch he seems to still like and he isn't picky about vegetables. For some reason he just really likes the canned crickets over live crickets. It came as a total shock. I have heard dubia are better then crickets anyway so would be good to try!
Here are a list of websites
www.reptilianarts.com they have roaches and silk worms - you would need a container for the roaches if ordering from here - you can keep them in a 10 gallon aquarium and feed them dubia food along w/ carrots for hydration and squash - do not feed the dragon carrots as well too much Vit A -- the silk worms if you buy cupped come w/ food - I usually get bulk like 50 when in stock they come small and no food so if you ever order like that make sure you get food to feed them and clean containers out daily-- silk worms are a great staple feeder -- these people are pretty fast at getting orders out
www.dubiaroaches.com they have great roaches and come in plastic containers so you can keep them in there - they also have super worms and nice horn worms - the horn worms are a hydrating worm and they really fast so order small amounts - they have nutri grubs which are the same as BSFL phoenix worms and calci worms
www.mulberryfarms.com they usually carry silk worms but are out of stock now they have butter worms of which are the only place that I know of that has them now - horn worms BSFL and super worms -- these people are spendy on shipping and really slow now at getting orders out 2-3 weeks out
www.symptonbsf.com
www.coastalsilkworms.com they have places on east coast and west coast
Nutrition website ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Check out the websites and go from there

Latest posts