• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Aquarium used as Viv

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Is it ok to use an aquarium tank as a vivarium? I ask because Petco is having the dollar a gallon sale Sunday and this would be a good opportunity to upgrade Rex to a 40 gallon tank and make room for a future new addition. Only downside I see is that the top is not slide off or a nice front panel. But the price is a steal and appears to accomplish the same thing really. 40 bucks for a 40 gallon tank.....yea. So give me your thoughts on this please, always good advice goin around here.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
The thing about aquariums is that they are taller than they are wider. But if you can find one with the right dimensions, then all is good. For example, I have an aquarium. The dimensions are 48" L x 18" W x 18" H.

So just keep in mind that you'll want the length to be at least 36 inches, and the width to be at least 18 inches.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Make sure it is a 40 Breeder. That has the correct foot print to take a dragon through life.
Hope this helps.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yup they are good. That is what I always used. Just make sure it is at least a 40 gallon breeder
36 3/16 x 18 1/4 x 16 15/16. Also make sure that the top is a mesh screen. This way you have plenty of ventilation and you can put your lights directly on top of the screen.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a 40 gallon breeder fish tank that I got a screen lid for, think lid was $25. I have had Ms. Piggy in it since April with no problems at all but like everyone said just make sure the footprint is the correct size. I prefer the fish 40 breeder over the reptile 40 breeder(Oscar is in the slide out lid tank) I am not a fan of the slide off lid, but this is just my personal preference.

Spikeleebd

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i have a 55 gallon fish tank but it is not a breeder it is a regular fish tank but i got it free and even though it isnt wide in width it is very long in length. and i have built his basking spot kind of mid level and he can bask high up ,midlevel or low to the grown and i have a mvb bulb and two fluorescent compact uvb bulbs and i use news paper for the flooring and i use two bottoms of plant pots as food dish and water bowl. i bathe him 3 times a week and spray him 2-3 times a day. i have a temperature prob on my basking spot and it ranges from 95-105 and i have a humidifier and another temp reader on the floor of the cool side. and my lil guy has worked out fine.

Latest posts