• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Anyone seen this before?

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Sometimes you think you've seen it all..and then your beardie shows you how wrong you are.

So about an hour ago, my beardie pooped. And when she goes, its always got some liquid that comes out with it, but its always clear like water. Today, however, it was not. It was actually red. Her poop, however, was not. Only the liquid that came out with it. It looks eerily like there could be blood in it. She had bell peppers in her salad two weeks ago, some carrot last week, but nothing even remotely red colored this week. So I'm thinking its not food related. I did also notice a spot of mucusy looking substance while i was cleaning it up. This was her first bowel movement in about 3 days. She normally goes daily.

She usually will go into her hide about 30 minutes before lights out, and come out the next morning when the lights come on. But beginning about a week ago, all the sudden she's not coming out on her own in the morning. She's awake, head up and looking around, but inside her hide. Not coming out to bask or eat. If I manually move her under her basking light, she will stay there and eat her salad and any super worms i give her and poop and act normal. But still not come out on her own the next morning.

My first thought is parasites, although I did treat her for pinworms with panacur in March. Obviously getting her stool tested is in order, ill watch her closely and if this happens again, a vet trip asap.
Just wondering if anyone has seen this, has any input, or has reason to believe I should take immediate action rather than giving her a minute to work it out on her own. Or maybe this is normal and I'm worried for no reason which definitely happens often.

As a side note, she is a female, and did have infertile eggs last August. So the potential is always there that she could be gravid. Although I certainly don't recall this happening last time. Ill attach a picture of the weird poop. (Sorry in advance. lol)

Thanks,
-Brooke

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
(She does live on paper towels, however she has gotten into the habit of kicking them aside, pooping on the glass, and then going to lay on her clean towels. Which is quite the nice change from her making a mess in the past.)

Attachments

• IMG_1195.jpg
    IMG_1195.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 173

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
I can only speak for myself, I've never ever seen this. Did she drink alot of water lately?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Nope, not a lot of water recently. I really only bother giving her water from a dropper every now and then. She's very good about eating her veggies every single day, I spray them and make sure they're pretty wet, so she stays hydrated from that. Theres just not been anything out of the ordinary going on, so this is throwing me for a loop.

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
I'd feel the same way. Maybe you should see what Patsy and hdrydr31 say?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
my 2 cents - this does not look a lot unlike what my little guy excretes. not sure about the red colour - kinda looks brownish to me. which may be from the feces. I tend to not get too excited about one time events - certainly something to watch.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've not seen anything like this come out of either of my 2 before.. I'm with Canicke it doesn't really look red per say maybe it is a tiny bit if she strains while pooping.. Her urate is kinda gray in color maybe too much calcium? is the urate hard? I'm like Canicke see if this is a trend and if so for sure have her checked.. How is the husbandry? lights/temps that kind of thing?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I don't see red either. Looks like normal poop. My first thought before I saw the photo was maybe she strained a little getting it out.

Latest posts