• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Anxious about care... advice please!

chardust

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi! if you've seen my other post, I guess you're understanding that I'm feeling very insecure haha. But my most important question is:

What are to most important things I should know and do to care for him? He's 2 months old based on a sizing chart... and I know a little but not a lot...

If someone could help me answer a few more questions like these that would be great!

-How much should I bathe him? especially for his age... like 2 times a week? How do I even bathe him? What's important to know while doing so?
-Is it normal for him to sleep and climb on the back wall of his enclosure? He seems to spend a lot of his time there... will he be able to do this when he's older? or not because of his weight? I plan on getting the hammock type wall thing for him so he can go high and low and still be suspended to reach the lamp better...
-How do I know when he's adjusted and can start hanging with the little buddy? (I was told to wait 3-4 days) are their indications that he's coping well with the change? I feel he's doing well, he lets me feed him water with a dropper and he goes for food right away... just my thoughts....
-Is dehydration still a pressing matter at his age? At what point will he become more independent with drinking water from his bowl?
-Are their things I should know about when we finally get to have one on one outside of his enclosure? Do I need to know anything about bonding type activities or trust activities?
-Do beardies need to be trained?
-What should I focus on in his development? I know calcium deficiency is an issue and I'll keep an eye out for that... but are their any unknown dangers I should know about?

I'm sorry for all this... I have anxiety but also really want to make sure he's doing okay... I don't want to mess up and have something bad happen to him especially because he's young... any answers or input or advice on what I've mentioned will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hello, you have a lot of questions so feel free to ask them again if I don't answer them in this post.
Ok bearded dragons normally only need bathed if they are dehydrated, have mites, have poop or dirt stuck on them, are not eating, or for enjoyment.

Yes it is normal for bearded dragons to climb and sleep well climbing, some bearded dragons feel more secure when they are up higher. They often times have more difficulty when they are older. I would suggest getting a hammock my bearded dragons love them!

My rule of thumb is that you can start holding them once they start eating or about 3 to 4 days, whichever comes last.

With his age dehydration becomes less of a problem but it's still something you should watch out for. Bearded dragons oftentimes don't drink from their water dishes, they get their water from their food so don't worry if you don't see him drinking.

"Are their things I should know about when we finally get to have one on one outside of his enclosure?" Not sure what this question is asking.

Remember bearded dragons are reptiles so they aren't the same way as cats or dogs so they don't feel the same emotions. Activities you can do with your bearded dragon are kind of limited because of that but I like to watch TV with mine and hand feed her kale.

Good luck trying to train one!

There are a lot of things that can go wrong in bearded dragon keeping, including MBD, dehydration, underweight, mites, collapsed vent, and many more. The best thing you can do is have a bearded dragon first aid kit on hand and have a reputable vet.

Sosemisa

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi! if you've seen my other post, I guess you're understanding that I'm feeling very insecure haha. But my most important question is:

What are to most important things I should know and do to care for him? He's 2 months old based on a sizing chart... and I know a little but not a lot...

If someone could help me answer a few more questions like these that would be great!

-How much should I bathe him? especially for his age... like 2 times a week? How do I even bathe him? What's important to know while doing so?
-Is it normal for him to sleep and climb on the back wall of his enclosure? He seems to spend a lot of his time there... will he be able to do this when he's older? or not because of his weight? I plan on getting the hammock type wall thing for him so he can go high and low and still be suspended to reach the lamp better...
-How do I know when he's adjusted and can start hanging with the little buddy? (I was told to wait 3-4 days) are their indications that he's coping well with the change? I feel he's doing well, he lets me feed him water with a dropper and he goes for food right away... just my thoughts....
-Is dehydration still a pressing matter at his age? At what point will he become more independent with drinking water from his bowl?
-Are their things I should know about when we finally get to have one on one outside of his enclosure? Do I need to know anything about bonding type activities or trust activities?
-Do beardies need to be trained?
-What should I focus on in his development? I know calcium deficiency is an issue and I'll keep an eye out for that... but are their any unknown dangers I should know about?

I'm sorry for all this... I have anxiety but also really want to make sure he's doing okay... I don't want to mess up and have something bad happen to him especially because he's young... any answers or input or advice on what I've mentioned will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
For a bathe give him a small container that he can fit in and move around in. Make it feel enough so they can be covered in water but shallow enough so they can stick their heads out. Make it warm water. Not cold not hot. Don’t just throw him in. Or her idk. Put him/her on your hand and gently get him/her use to it. I would do this once a week. Mine is 3 weeks old. She likes to lay on her tree and have her face pressed up against the wall when she sleeps. This is normal. They all have their favorite spots. It all depends on the dragon. Mine liked to be held the 6th day I got her. So on the 4th day put your hand in and let him smell you. And gradually start to pet and hold him within the next couple days. If there is any signs of stress or fear stop. Next question. They usally don’t drink from their bowl. Sometimes they like to sit in it. The humidity should be around 20-40% if it’s around 20 or lower spray him or her with a spray bottle every day it’s low. They like to drink like that or in a bathe they soak up water and then they can stay hydrated. The best way to bond with you beardie is hand feeding. They will understand that you feed them and they will recognize your scent. They don’t need to be “trained” but they should learn to not run away from their owner. But they should do that anyway. And I would feed veggies before crickets so he/she knows he needs to eat veg. Before crickets. And don’t feed them too many treats otherwise they could get Overweight.
Make sure to mix the crickets with calcium every other day for juveniles. Watch his weight. If he has red by his ears he is healthy. When he starts to shed bathe him more often to help shedding. If you have anymore questions you can ask me! Good luck!

chardust

Bearded Dragon Egg
For a bathe give him a small container that he can fit in and move around in. Make it feel enough so they can be covered in water but shallow enough so they can stick their heads out. Make it warm water. Not cold not hot. Don’t just throw him in. Or her idk. Put him/her on your hand and gently get him/her use to it. I would do this once a week. Mine is 3 weeks old. She likes to lay on her tree and have her face pressed up against the wall when she sleeps. This is normal. They all have their favorite spots. It all depends on the dragon. Mine liked to be held the 6th day I got her. So on the 4th day put your hand in and let him smell you. And gradually start to pet and hold him within the next couple days. If there is any signs of stress or fear stop. Next question. They usally don’t drink from their bowl. Sometimes they like to sit in it. The humidity should be around 20-40% if it’s around 20 or lower spray him or her with a spray bottle every day it’s low. They like to drink like that or in a bathe they soak up water and then they can stay hydrated. The best way to bond with you beardie is hand feeding. They will understand that you feed them and they will recognize your scent. They don’t need to be “trained” but they should learn to not run away from their owner. But they should do that anyway. And I would feed veggies before crickets so he/she knows he needs to eat veg. Before crickets. And don’t feed them too many treats otherwise they could get Overweight.
Make sure to mix the crickets with calcium every other day for juveniles. Watch his weight. If he has red by his ears he is healthy. When he starts to shed bathe him more often to help shedding. If you have anymore questions you can ask me! Good luck!
thank you so much! very helpful! i'll keep this in mind!

Latest posts