• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Antibiotics for parasites

Kyler

Bearded Dragon Egg
My rescue bearded has been having a hard time recently so I went ahead and took her into the vet. A fecal exam and 400 bucks later (I jokingly call her Hawaii now because that was the cost for me to take a flight there) revealed that she is just absolutely riddled with all sorts of parasites. This is part of the email from the vet:
"Pancake has Amoeba, protozoan parasites, and Pinworms, some degree of immune suppression, and high calcium."
With this information I discontinued her calcium and she was put on Metronidazole. She was given 0.25 cc every three days for seven doses. Almost a month later I still saw no improvement so I brought in another fecal and sure enough she still has them. I feel horrible! Now she is back on the Metronidazole and they want me dosing her once a day for a week.
What else can I do to help her through this process? Is it okay to sanitize her tank with a diluted bleach solution, or is that too harsh? Any suggestions are so appreciated.

Itio

Bearded Dragon Egg
My little guy's got giardia and is on metro 1x daily for three weeks. I'm wondering if its not a long enough dose to kill everything off.

I was also told to sanitize the tank. Bleach is safe!

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
(Just make sure she's out of the tank when you sanitize it, and bleach is fine.) Other than than, try to keep her hydrated, and a little warmer than usual while she's in treatment. :0)

Latest posts