• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Another free lesson for the newbies

srabeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yep, here I am again with a diet post. I placed a papertowel in the bottom of my cricket cage because I though it would keep the cage cleaner... long story short some of the crickets ate the paper and died :-[
Also does anybody know anything about organic freeze dried grasshopper pieces and secondly, I bought some crickets from a mom and pop store that are cannibals. Yes cannibals. No matter how many orange cubes I put in the cage they still ate each other. Anybody have a similar experience with crickets eating each other?

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
yeh i had that prob when i accidently ordered some brown banded crix no matter what food etc i put in i was clearing out half eaten dead crix next day but i never had that prob with silent browns or black crix

paul

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I had my crix each other when I bought them from a mom and pop place too. They would eat each others back legs off, then they would eat the rest of them. They would also attack my beardie too. Needless to say I have not bought crix from there again and they killed each other before I could feed them to my beardie.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You'll want living feeders, as either frozen or freeze dried leaves so much up in the air about husbandry, gut loading, and general information of those feeders before they were packaged... Not to mention the amount of preservatives that are normally used.
Have you given thought to.... roaches ?
Perhaps by using roaches, crickets and supers might be the ticket ?
Hope that helps out !
Janie

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
roaches i wish i could get some over here they like rocking horse poop here ;D

paul

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
sorry for goin a bit off topic lol
i actually found them on the net earlier been searching for ages for roaches everyone always seems to be out of stock, ive been offered some lobster roaches from somone who is trying to reduce their colony on a uk forum near by for a few £ are they any good as a staple and east to keep

paul

clh321

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Same thing happened to me my cricket cage had like 200 running pretty low and in the morning there wer like 70 dead

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Check humidity, and air flow... those are the two that seems to be iffy usually when you see a high die off... also, check for any molded foods.
Hope this helps !
Janie

northface75

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I always leave a nice big pile of cheap, dry cat food in the corner, the crickets seem to love that.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Do you have enough things for them to climb on. I keep a the egg crates they are shipped in I the crix keeper. Here is a picture of my set up. I have 1,000 in there and they are doing great and don't loose many. I feed them baby rice cereal and give water on a hermit crab sponge. I have a piece of an old tshirt over the air vent because I have tiny ones in there they got out with screen so I put the shirt back on. Another thing is they do shed there skin a lot as they grow and this can sometimes look like some died when in fact they just shed
100_1021.jpg

100_1019.jpg

Stephanie is a Rockstar

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have only seen the crickets I get eat each other when they are molting. I buy them daily since Lola only eats 30 large a day, if that. I tried buying in bulk and they kept dying on me. I love it though, I go to the pet store and they know what I need right away. Plus I love the look people give when I am walking around the store with a fish bag of crickets.

srabeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
lol, yea they know what I want when I come through the door. I took beardie to the store the other day and he did really great. I was a kid magnet 8)

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Stephanie is a Rockstar said:
I have only seen the crickets I get eat each other when they are molting. I buy them daily since Lola only eats 30 large a day, if that. I tried buying in bulk and they kept dying on me. I love it though, I go to the pet store and they know what I need right away. Plus I love the look people give when I am walking around the store with a fish bag of crickets.

Try licking the bag every once in a while. You're likely to get even more looks. LOL!

northface75

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Sandra, I have the same set up, but to keep the crix from climbing the walls I put a couple rows of masking tape around the whole inside, they cant climb past the tape.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
northface75 said:
Sandra, I have the same set up, but to keep the crix from climbing the walls I put a couple rows of masking tape around the whole inside, they cant climb past the tape.

I don't mind them climbing. My daughter thinks its fun to keep them from climbing out when I am feeding. Its a game to her and she is so proud of herself for helping me and not killing any.

northface75

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
haha, well in that case you're all set. I just like to prevent any possible escapees.... :D

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I will keep that in mind for when she gets bored with it. You could get a cat...they take care of any run away crix

Latest posts