• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

An absolute plethora of questions from a first timer

Skynub

Bearded Dragon Egg
6D4DD32E-9A84-4DF5-908A-A3CF82985A81.jpeg
Hi! This will be my first time as a reptile parent; and, admittedly, am sure to be a very nervous one(as well as a rambler; will try to be concise). Basically, this lizard is being rehomed to me over the course of one night. I’ve had a lot of experience with small animals (rats + the like), but never with a reptile. I’ve spent the entire day researching and making a shopping list but still have many questions. Although I’m sure to make mistakes, I want to minimize that AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. To get to the questions,
1.) What are your beardie’s diets? I’ve read the pinned forum posts and made a shopping list based off of that, as well as a list for gutloading the bugs I’m planning on feeding. I’ve also marked down to get calcium + B3 supplements. I’d hoped hearing about other’s weekly diets for their beardie’s would give me an idea on how to improve mine as quickly and efficiently as possible. My circled items (the ones I’m going to make sure I get) are: collard greens, dandelion greens, mustard greens, silkworms, crickets (+their gutload), + spaghetti squash. Is there something you feel I should add to this list? Take off? General tips for a better balance?
2.) I’ve read on another site that frozen vegetables (ofc depending on their contents) could be good for beardies. Thoughts on this? Yay, nay? It definitely seems like an economical option but I’d rather spend the extra for proper nutrition. I’m also assuming it should be fed defrosted? Or would cooking the bag and letting it cool to room temperature be alright too? (I’ve seen many listings specify that veggies should be fed raw (specifics))
3.) I know this may be a dumber question, but can I use my air conditioner in the same room as my beardie? Lol ofc I’d monitor temp and humidity as its on but this especially worries me at night when I’m not awake to check + am supposedly supposed to have their heating/UVA/UVB switched off/lowered to mimick a day/night cycle (thoughts on this also? What hours do you leave the lights on vs off?)
4.) What are your temperature and humidity settings? I’ve cross checked over multiple sites giving multiple answers- I’ve averaged them together in that I will try to keep my basking area about 100 (farenheit), and the rest of the tank 85. Is this too severe a temp. difference? How would you modify it? I know I need to watch my beardie and see how it reacts, but I’d like to be as prepared as I possibly can be from the start. As for humidity, I’ve seen people say it’s alright to have it up to 60% even. From what I read about their natural habitat, I wrote down the more conservative numbers of 35%-40%. Again, I know I have to check how my beardie’s sheds are and adjust accordingly but again, would like to avoid mistakes if at all possible. Thoughts on those numbers?
5.) FINALLY, my last question lol I’ll be doing an inspection based on common health problems I’ve researched looking for signs of distress and scheduling a vet appointment asap, but from the picture, does this seem to be a healthy dragon? Not being well versed in reptiles I really can’t tell from that alone. I’d love to have some sort of forewarning if it seems like this will go bad.
A big huge GIGANTIC thank you to anyone who reads this far and responds. Is there anything I’ve missed? Things you think I should know? Please feel free to gush abt beardie care to your heart’s content I want to know EVERYTHING I can. Thank you again

Elyssa Battaglia

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,I'm a new beardie owner as well. I'm not going to make suggestions as much as just saying what I've been doing. I'll start out by saying when I got my beardie his tail is regrowing and hes missing a few toe nails. (That makes me think his previous owner was doing something wrong) any way as for food I've been giving him peppers and carrots and fresh green lettuce. He really enjoys it. I give him superworms instead of crickets and he loves them as well. I'm personally not sure how to gut load those or if I'm supposed to. As for the lighting I read that if hes sitting there with his mouth open that his basking temp is correct my guy likes it around 103. Just lift your light up or down depending on what you want your temp to be. Also for night time it shouldn't be any colder then 65. I dont see why an ac would be bad if its keeping the room warmer then 65. Ooh and I've been keeping my humidity between 35 and 40. My times of day for light have been 11am to 11pm. I'm not sure if I was helpful at all bit that's what I'm doing. I do have a question for you tho. What kind of pellets are you feeding him? My guy isnt eating what I got him. He only eats the salad and the bugs and idk if that ok for him you know?

Skynub

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,I'm a new beardie owner as well. I'm not going to make suggestions as much as just saying what I've been doing. I'll start out by saying when I got my beardie his tail is regrowing and hes missing a few toe nails. (That makes me think his previous owner was doing something wrong) any way as for food I've been giving him peppers and carrots and fresh green lettuce. He really enjoys it. I give him superworms instead of crickets and he loves them as well. I'm personally not sure how to gut load those or if I'm supposed to. As for the lighting I read that if hes sitting there with his mouth open that his basking temp is correct my guy likes it around 103. Just lift your light up or down depending on what you want your temp to be. Also for night time it shouldn't be any colder then 65. I dont see why an ac would be bad if its keeping the room warmer then 65. Ooh and I've been keeping my humidity between 35 and 40. My times of day for light have been 11am to 11pm. I'm not sure if I was helpful at all bit that's what I'm doing. I do have a question for you tho. What kind of pellets are you feeding him? My guy isnt eating what I got him. He only eats the salad and the bugs and idk if that ok for him you know?

Hi! That was very helpful, thank you! As for your question, yes, that’s exactly what he’s supposed to do :> Adult beardies will become almost completely vegetarian, eating abt 80% veg, 20% bugs. Prioritizing giving them veggies is a good idea, considering they get their water from the food they eat. Here’s a really fantastic chart of what they can/should eat: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
@Skynub you seem to be on track. The greens and bugs you picked are great choices. Stay away from lettuce, it has no nutritional value and carrots are okay occasionally as they have high vitamin A. Also Super worms are high in fat so they should only be fed occasionally.

You want a day/night cycle usually 12 hours on 12 hours off. It’s good to have the temps drop at night. As long as they don’t go lower than 65 degrees. If it gets colder than that you can use a low watt CHE bulb. A CHE gives off heat but no light.

Having an air conditioner on is okay, as long as the tank inside holds the proper temps. Humidity of 30-45% is good, anything higher could cause respiratory problems and anything lower can cause sheding problems.

Latest posts