• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Am I neglecting him?

Tinydragon5

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone, I tend to worry alot, about everything... tonight I started worrying about weather or not I am neglecting my 4yr old dragon.

Three days ago he lost one of his claws and for the first 2 days i had a camera in there watching him 24/7 he's doing great He's his usual self.

Lately for the past couple months I haven't been feeling him much (if any) greens, because its so difficult to get him to eat them. he gets a variety of freeze dried insects, occassionally live, every day although he doesn't eat everyday and doesn't poop often, if he doesn't poop in a week, or two (at most) I give him a bath and that normally does the trick.

He gets: crickets, grasshoppers, the occasional meal worm and waxworm from the pet store.

He's in a 75 gallon tank near a window because he adores looking outside. I make sure he gets his heat and uv and he has a warm and cool side to his tank.

For a while Ive been busy with school so I don't hold him often, but I make it a point of petting him and talking to him almost every day.

I am so sorry for the long post but I am worried that I am completely neglecting my dragon, and I love him very much.
My question is am I a bad beardie owner?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
We all go through periods where we get too busy or sometimes just want to do something for ourselves and we don't spend as much time with our dragons. Does your dragon miss you playing with him? Probably. Will he be okay? Probably. Just keep talking to him and petting him and acknowledging him and take him out when you get the chance. Make sure you are still keeping his tank clean and you are feeding him. Older dragons don't need to eat bugs every day a few times a week is good. You should be making him a salad to eat every day though. I would avoid the freeze-dried stuff all together because they really offer no nutrition. He's not pooping every day because he doesn't eat every day. Mine tend to go a week or two between poops because they don't eat much.