• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Am I headed in the right direction?

Fwamingdragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm not done I just want to know if it looks like I'm doing it right
image.jpg
image.jpg

DanielE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
You need something to let her/him get closer to the UVB bulb around 6"

Fwamingdragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yeah I know, just wanted to know if I got the basic set up right. I plan on adding a lot of decorations for the two beardies I plan to put in there.

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I hate to be the one to say it but cohabitation isnt a good idea. Maybe alright at first as babys but as they get older one will become more dominent over the other. Not letting one eat or get proper uvb. They may fight at some point and it may not turn out good. Now not all of them will do this but chances are at some point something may happen. Also if your getting babies sand isnt usually recommended until they are about 14-16". paper towel newspaper shelf liner tiles or repti carpet are better substrates.

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
What timbalan is saying is correct..... At first all will be ok but eventually it goes astray.....

Also what is your substrate? And the UVB has to be either beside behind or in front of your basking..... The two lights need to be combined

Fwamingdragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
The breeder I'm getting them from said as long as they came
From the same litter they should be fine together and that they are placed in at the same
Time. I'm also using calcium sand the same stuff the breeder was using. He said it can be digested and not cause impaction. So move the UVB light next to the basking light, do I need to put another light back on the other end?

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Calcisand is the worst sand to use it clumps like cat litter when wet. If you will use sand childrens washed and sifted play sand is best. And im pretty sure it doesnt matter if they are from the same litter something can always go wrong but your chioce in the end. Yes the uvb needs to be right next to the basking spot. If the enclosure is dark on the one side you can use another bulb on that side. I use a regular house bulb on one side and a halogen for my basking spot.

Fwamingdragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
He asked him about the fighting and he said he planned on giving me two females if
One fights I can bring it back and he would repay me for her. And I just looked at the bag of sand and I just realized that I didn't get the calcisand it's a English walnut blend.
image.jpg

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ya crushed walnut shells isnt good either. See when tbey are babys they lick anything and everything so there is a good chance that they will ingest some of it which isnt good. Thats why a non particulate substrate is the best

Fwamingdragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Man why do they tell you all the wrong stuff... It's kinda annoying because I don't have all the money in the world to pay for all new stuff to lay down. I don't plan on feeding them crickets right away so would the sand be okay for like a week or two?

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ya i know pet stores can be tricky. Its frusturating. I went through this aswell. If you take it back they should refund you. And you can always just use paper towel its cheap. Mines 16" and i still use paper towel doesnt look the best but it works great

Fwamingdragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Don't think they will take back open bags of sand lol. I wish they would have more people that actually know what they are talking about. They are going to have a lot stuff to climb on so two weeks should be such a bad think till I can pay for the reptile tile. With all the stuff to climb on I doubt they will be on the ground very often

Marmoset

Hatchling Dragon
I think it looks real pretty but it needs some tweaking. Unfortuanately the big name herp supply companies have more of a desire to sell product than ensure the health of our pets. It makes me angry to see products being recommended for bearded dragons that are actually horribly dangerous. I'm also surprised your breeder uses calci sand. The pet shop I worked at in the 90's boycotted the stuff. Do a quick search online and you will see how strongly the reptile community feels about it. If I was keeping beardies on play sand or walnut shell I'd feed them outside of the enclosure and I wouldn't keep babies on it at all. They lick their environment when they explore. Your basking and UVB bulb need to be closer together so your dragon does not have to choose between getting the heat or UVB. Your dragons probably won't spend a lot of time on the cool side so they will rarely be under the UVB as you have it and it is tricky to do but they do need to be closer to the UVB.

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
They may climb they may not. All depends on the dragons. If you go the tile route slate tile is what a lot of people use because its got a little texture to it. I plan on using it also i just havent gotten around to getting it yet. Well hope this helps. Sorry about all the bad news just wouldnt want something bad to happen. Hope all goes well for you let us see some more pics when your all done.

ilovebeardies

Juvenile Dragon
I've used crushed walnut before the down fall is that it molds very easily to the water dish I found mold under several times and if my beardies got wet it would stick to them just a mess. But main concern is the mold it causes. Doesn't do good with any warm moisture. I would use repticarpet especially if you are getting juvenile beardies. Calci sand can also entice the beardies to lick/ eat it since its made from calcium.

misskatie

Juvenile Dragon
Random use for the walnut shells you can use them like a mulch around flowers...another good substrate is paper towels or the peel and stick vinyl flooring just don't use any glue with it

Devildoc

Hatchling Dragon
Lol didn't mean to like the pic walnut shells are very bad for a lot of animals not just dragons. They can be very toxic to horses.. I know what its like to have to go cheap I know you got 75cents go get a newspaper and just you the stuff that is black inked until you get something else I used it for over a year for my sons.. Now he has a ceramic tile floor he loves it.. I know a lot say don't cohabitant (males fight- females fight- and males will stress a female to death during mating if she dosnt want to..

Fwamingdragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks a lot guys :) I'll be redoing my tank this weekend and will post pictures and then I need y'all's help to judge it :p

Penelopesmom

Hatchling Dragon
It is so infuriating how these stores will sell you anything to make money when people are just trying to do the best to get everything they need for their pet to be healthy and happy.

Latest posts