• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Always Sleeping in Enclosure

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you. Unfortunately it is currently out of stock in my city but I will place an order for the next shipment.
Go w/ the zoo med - have you heard of philspets?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh thank you for this as well. I will look into the shipping.
Make sure you get the 22" reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb-- I use the zoo med fixtures in my 2 tanks

Katt

Bearded Dragon Egg
Go w/ the zoo med - have you heard of philspets?
I haven’t, looked it up and there’s none in my city. I will go on thursday and ask about the arcadia one, and if i cannot get it in soon i will get that zoomed one.
Make sure you get the 22" reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb-- I use the zoo med fixtures in my 2 tanks
Thank you for the suggestion but the shipping is 30 dollars! I will check in at pet smart and ask about the arcadia 12%, and purchase the zoomed one I sent, since you mentioned it was acceptable. Again, thanks for taking the time out of your day to educate me on the proper UVB fixtures. Will update by Thursday, and I’ll make sure my beardie is getting proper UVB from outside until then. <3

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I haven’t, looked it up and there’s none in my city. I will go on thursday and ask about the arcadia one, and if i cannot get it in soon i will get that zoomed one.

Thank you for the suggestion but the shipping is 30 dollars! I will check in at pet smart and ask about the arcadia 12%, and purchase the zoomed one I sent, since you mentioned it was acceptable. Again, thanks for taking the time out of your day to educate me on the proper UVB fixtures. Will update by Thursday, and I’ll make sure my beardie is getting proper UVB from outside until then. <3
Check your pet stores for the reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb-- all those stores carry different types - where I live they only carry zoo med 18 or 20" fixtures which are T 8 's

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello! I have a (presumably) 2 year old bearded dragon and have had him for about 4 months now. I say presumably because he was adopted and that’s what we were told, he’s definitely an adult but I wonder if he’s a bit older. Anyways he is a pretty active fellow… when he’s out of his enclosure. When he’s inside, he will sleep almost all the time if he’s not eating. If we never took him out Id think he’d sleep all day and all night! The lighting situation is fine as that is, of course, the first concern. It is summer here so we have the AC on though it hasn’t affected his terrarium temp much, his basking sits around 95F instead of 100F but that’s still hot enough from what I understand… He has UVA/UVB lighting as well of course. He has lots of things to interest him-ramps, rocks, a tree, a large water dish that can be used as a “pond,” a ball, some fake foliage, but all he seems interested in is sleeping in his hidey hole. Is he just lazy? Any info would be appreciated :)
Hi the UVB light needs to be correct and needs replacing religiously every 6 months that’s what gives them energy and ability to absorb vitamin D & breakdown the calcium. The best and most recommended one is the Reptisun 10.0 T5 please order from Amazon ASAP or go to a specialty reptile store in your area. It’s a long tubular bulb and the length u order needs to cover 70 percent of the tank and place it starting at the hot/basking rock side. Also for heat get the zoomed CLEAR basking bulb. Don’t ever use colored or coiled bulbs. Without proper UVB they will have no energy. U need a zoomed clear heat basking bulb and the Reptisun for UVB leave them on for 12-14 hours in the summer and in the winter 10-12 hours on. At nite for bedtime No lights & always remove all good and water bowls at bedtime otherwise they can get an upper respiratory infection. Also the temp should be tested and monitored with a digital thermometer please get one and a hygrometer to check the humidity. The humidity needs to be 30-40 never ever higher. Buy an infrared gun from Home Depot to shine one inch away from the basking spot to check the temp. As an adult it should be 95-97. Maybe it’s too hot maybe raise the light or lower it. But buy the zoomed clear basking bulb that’s the best And make sure his enclosure is not under an AC vent or next to a blazing hot window where the sun can beat into it. And are u feeding him proteins 1-2 times a week dusted in calcium powder once per day? And on a non calcium day dust with herptivite sprinkle like salt on fries for both and shake the proteins then feed. Do crickets or Dubia roaches or super worms those are the best. Alongside a plate of greens/veggies; this plate u give everyday and place it on the cold side and remove it when it gets wilted and replace. Don’t feed carrots or spinach ever and kale 1-2 times a week but the best everyday ones are mustard greens/collard greens, yellow squash, butternut squash, dandelions, endives. Fruits 1-2 times a week blueberries, papayas and mangoes and apples are best. Never feed mealworms it impacts them. Also are u misting him 2-3 times a day and giving him baths twice a week in lukewarm dechlorinated water? Try all that and this should work. Here are photos of what to get and please make the changes asap or find a reptile vet.

Attachments

• 2712D5A2-46BA-4275-9B6D-948843EEF5CA.jpeg
    2712D5A2-46BA-4275-9B6D-948843EEF5CA.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • 3EFD7AEF-0185-476B-A059-F42ED6C0AF2A.jpeg
    3EFD7AEF-0185-476B-A059-F42ED6C0AF2A.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • 5124ABCC-615F-4D07-908D-13CFD5B3CEBE.jpeg
    5124ABCC-615F-4D07-908D-13CFD5B3CEBE.jpeg
    748.4 KB · Views: 3

Beastiesfamily

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello! I have a (presumably) 2 year old bearded dragon and have had him for about 4 months now. I say presumably because he was adopted and that’s what we were told, he’s definitely an adult but I wonder if he’s a bit older. Anyways he is a pretty active fellow… when he’s out of his enclosure. When he’s inside, he will sleep almost all the time if he’s not eating. If we never took him out Id think he’d sleep all day and all night! The lighting situation is fine as that is, of course, the first concern. It is summer here so we have the AC on though it hasn’t affected his terrarium temp much, his basking sits around 95F instead of 100F but that’s still hot enough from what I understand… He has UVA/UVB lighting as well of course. He has lots of things to interest him-ramps, rocks, a tree, a large water dish that can be used as a “pond,” a ball, some fake foliage, but all he seems interested in is sleeping in his hidey hole. Is he just lazy? Any info would be appreciated :)
Hello I believe that my Dragon is information they can go a long time without eating and they can sleep a lot. From June usually through September are the winter months in Australia and bearded dragons often go into rumination sometimes as mine does in and out and eating very little mine is sleeping hard and then he will wake up some days he's awake but he doesn't get up and move around when he does get up he's fine so I believe he is in Broome ation which could be the same for yours.

Attachments

• B9E676C6-7B88-459F-BD9A-A0BD7BAC7248.jpeg
    B9E676C6-7B88-459F-BD9A-A0BD7BAC7248.jpeg
    998.4 KB · Views: 4

Katt

Bearded Dragon Egg

Hello! @Beastiesfamily you are right actually! Thank you to everyone for recommending me a new UVB bulb which I did order: (https://piscespets.com/products/arcadia-pro-t5-uv-b-lighting-kit-14-dragon) I also got a digital thermometer at PetSmart! But, I did check in with the original owner plus went to a veterinarian and they both agreed he is likely in a brumation state. My little guy tends to just be more lazy, and only when in his cage or a proper hiding spot he will sleep, but according to the original owner he never went into a 'deep' sleep which is what I had expected from a brumating beardie. His new UVB light fixture will sure benefit him when he wakes up though! Also @Julee1971 I never thought that I had to remove the water bowl. I always did with food, but thank you for the information! He is not near a vent or a window, though he was moved from a room (upstairs) that was significantly hotter than where he is now (~20F cooler, though staying 90-100F in the basking spot). He is getting proper protein and veggies of course, though not right now since he has little to no appetite; he usually eats dubia roaches or canned crickets. I had his main leafy veggie as kale, but I will switch that up to collard greens. He does get fruits as a treat 1-2 times a week :) I have powdered and liquid calcium along with other liquid vitamins which I use a few times a week (Fluker's liquid vitamin supplement). He has no other signs of illness other than the lazing around, sleeping, and decreased appetite. I am also giving him water through an eyedropper with his vitamins and the 'cleaner' which dechlorinates the water to make it safe for beardies. His fat pads are still fat, his tail isn't boney, his eyes aren't sunken in, and he hasn't really lost any weight for the ~month this has been going on. His poop was also totally normal, not runny, proper bulk, so no parasites. Instead of taking him outside constantly I will now leave him to properly brumate, as I was likely disturbing him this whole time, but I will continue to bathe him (with the dechlorination) and watch him closely for any signs of illness. I hope I answered all your questions. :)