• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Alternative protein sources?

RaceDiva

Hatchling Dragon
I am trying to think of a way to get more protein into my boy, Scotty. Right now, all I can persuade him to eat are superworms (doesn't always completely digest them), waxworms and phoenix worms. I was reading about pinto and kidney beans, would those be ok? What about other pet food like one of those for dogs that is all natural ingredients such as meat and veggies? He Still won't even look at crickets. He's about 10 months old.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I just replied to your question in the other thread!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I'll answer you here! I get hornworms from Great Lakes Hornworm. They come in a cup of "25" but there is usually more like 40-50 in them. They come very small but grow very fast, especially if they are kept in a warm room.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Last week I ordered 4 cups of worms, 2 empty cups and a small container of food and it was $56.

RaceDiva

Hatchling Dragon
Someone told me they bite, any chance of him getting hurt? Wish he'd go back to crickets, cheaper! I'll go to the website and get some want to feed something besides superworms.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
As far as I know they don't bite. They do have very sticky feet like velcro so they are a little difficult to pull off of things. You have to kinda push them up and then pull off.

I never understood the fear of reptiles being bitten by worms. Bearded dragon's have strong jaws and very pointy teeth. I watch how mine eat worms and there is no way those things are alive!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I got them on Tuesday and they were pretty small. I was going out of town so I had no choice but to feed them to my dragons. Tues-Wed afternoon Luci probably ate like 25 small ones and Dexter ate 6. When I came home yesterday the worms are 5 times the size they were. Dexter had 3 and Luci had 6. Dexter's cut off at any size is 3 for anything, even super worms, not sure why she does that. I counted today and I have about 92 left. Now that I'm home they will probably going to only eat a small amount and maybe some supers.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You're welcome! I hope he loves them as much as mine do!

Elemental Dragon Lord

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I got them on Tuesday and they were pretty small. I was going out of town so I had no choice but to feed them to my dragons. Tues-Wed afternoon Luci probably ate like 25 small ones and Dexter ate 6. When I came home yesterday the worms are 5 times the size they were. Dexter had 3 and Luci had 6. Dexter's cut off at any size is 3 for anything, even super worms, not sure why she does that. I counted today and I have about 92 left. Now that I'm home they will probably going to only eat a small amount and maybe some supers.
She has to maintain her girlish figure ;)

RaceDiva

Hatchling Dragon
How big is too big for him to eat ok? If they get that large, how can I feed them to him? Have ordered him some hornworms, should arrive this week. Something lower fat, good! He's getting plump, any more heavy, thinking of a way to take him to the gym with me! ;)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You can kinda judge what is too small and what is too big for them. With worms I always say the girth shouldn't be wider than the space between their eyes. It's pretty gross, but mine love a little bit bigger worm and when they bite down it squirts all over.