• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Alot of white in poo, lethargic, been to vet 3 times

jkausky32

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello. I am at a loss and reaching out to you guys. Ive had my girl right around a year. Everything was going fine. Then she quit pooping, it had been about a week and a half no bowel movement. Which was really.off for her. She didnt want to move as much. So we went to the vet. Vet did an enema. She was like hopefully we got most of it out keep soaking back off the greens. She gave me some pin worm meds because she noticed them in the stool.and sent me on my way. She said the worms werent bad just always like to treat. Few days go by my girl never pulls back out. Shes down mostly not moving just laying kinda with her back legs spread awkwardly to me. She did eat her crix like a beast and i backed down the greens like the vet said so ok fine. Well 3 days pass I go back to the vet she looks stupid lethargic. Vet keeps her a a few hours. She gives her calcium and Midicane I think. Said she believed she maybe fell and hurt herself in her enclosure. She said she didnt want to move her tail much and her leg was bothering her. I kept my mouth shut the vet is dumb nice and with my location im very limited.on vets for my girl, but I question if the enema didnt hurt her. She also said it could be a reaction to the pinworm med but she said thats so rare she doubts it. So we go back home. Same state. She gets up only for crix. Other than that shes in the same spot.all day. Im soaking daily. I got another poop out of her. Still alot of white Issue is vet now wants her on calcium syringes from her for 2 weeks because shes putting the lethargy to calcium deficeny. But shes seen the poop like me its alot.of white. Is the calcium making things worse? idk what to do to get her better I keep going to the vet I keep giving her meds but it feels so counterintuitive bc shes got like harder white poops and she is not getting better just lays there. I have a 75 gallon tank. 150 basking. Uvb desert tube light. 2 100w ceramic heat lamps. She is on a 12/12 schedule currently. Cool side with cave stays at about 80 hotter said 90 to 95 in diff spots with the basking spot at 100. I am really at a loss. I am doing everything I know to do and can and we are getting no where . This is my first dragon. I have only ever had her. She does seem to squint off and on to. Vet even noticed it but said her eyes looked fine thats why I try to use more ceramic than bright lighting and sometimes I do rotate shutting off the baking or uvb if i see her in a squinting fit. So I kinda want to believe I made this calcium issue by doing that. But the light might be off 4 hours a week off her normal schedule and its just one so it doesnt go dark both my basking and tube give off uv. So im just trying to make it less bright for her so shes not squinting. Like Ive always done everything I could or knew to do and I thought I was doing alright, but somethings up.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
when they become adults they poop much less regularly, currently mine will poop every 1 to 2 weeks(some go as long as 3), depending on how much they have been eating. When they were little they pooped every day. So, 1 1/2 weeks without a bowel movement isnt so unusual in itself. With this time of year also comes a lack of appetite and lethargy as your dragon may be getting ready to brumate. Its time to worry only if your dragon has begun losing weight rapidly. Maybe you should have held off on the vet visit, but if you were worried about your beardies health then it was the right thing to do.
As for the meds, unless your vet absolutely 'knows' what the problem is she shouldnt be prescribing drugs and treatments on the offchance that they might work. Sometimes these treatments take more out of your dragon than the original problem. I think you should get a second opinion, find another vet if you can, one with actual reptile experience.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Bearded dragons don't lay on their back. Is she flipping over? How does she get on her back? I would really do some research and find a qualified vet. This vet doesn't sound like they are an exotic vet or know what they are talking about. All dragons have a normal amount of parasites in their system which they live with. In times of stress those numbers can elevate and that's when they should be treated. Lot's of exotic vets don't treat for certain parasites as long as they are in a normal range. The medication for pinworms, as well as any medication, is harsh on their system. I would recommend getting a probiotic to help settle the stomach and hopefully get her to bounce back.

Also when was the last time you changed your UVB light and is it a T5 or a T8 size bulb? T8 bulbs should be changed every 4-6 months.