• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Alfalfa bedding?

Jaycies

Juvenile Dragon
I saw in Petco (was looking at their tank decorations; I promise nothing else!) and noticed they sell alfalfa bedding for bearded dragons, etc. I've never heard of this before.

Something good or no?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Most particle substrates that are sold in Pet Stores claiming to be BD safe, are not. Alfalfa, Millet, Bran & other so called 'Edible' substrates are prone to mold if in contact with any moisture or high humidity at all. On top of the fact, do you really want the possibility of your BD eating Poop Juice soaked Alfalfa ;) .

There is only one particle substrate that I would recommend for BDs larger than 10" in length from nose to tip of tail (If particle substrate is the route that you choose to go) & that would be Strained Children's Washed Play Sand, available at most hardware stores & garden centers for approximately $4-$5 per 50 lb bag. BDs smaller than 10" in length, should not be kept on a particle substrate of any kind, at all.

Good Luck

Latest posts