• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ALEX IS A GIRL!!!!!!!

Mattalie

Juvenile Dragon
Omg! I looked under her tail to see if she was a guy or girl and i thought i saw two lumps!!!!!! I picked her up a few min ago because i came upstairs to find her lights turned out 2 hours early(second question about that) and saw only one lump behind the vent! Im scared. Now i have more things to worry about:(
2. Since her lights went out an hour or less after she ate(my timer malfunctioned) will that make her sick because she couldnt digest her food or can i leave the lights on for another hour or so and she will be fine?

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
Just my opinion but I'd prolly put her ligjts back on for an hour or two then set them to come on late tomorrow (so she'll have 10full hours of sleep) and congrats on having a girl mama! :)

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
As far as worries about havin a girl...at least you have a heads up and you can properly prepare for what she might need right?

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
Maybe someone can weigh in who is more knowledgeable, but I've heard that not all females even lay eggs each year. Some dont begin till their 2 or 3 yrs old..some only 50% of the time. It depends on the animal and if they're exposed to a male. I still need to look into this further so DO take me lightly on this one. Most importantly, you can put a pretty pink ribbon on her without fear of causing a complex! (Yes...feeble attempt at sarcasm) You're a good mama and I'm sure if something doesn't seem right, you'll be finding answers and help like a flash :)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If your lighting\timer malfunctions, just correct the issue & set them back to their regular schedule & leave it. Rearranging it's Day\Night schedule because of one instance (that should have little effect on it), will do much more harm than good.

Be sure that you are holding the tail properly when sexing a BD. Here is a good tutorial on sexing BDs ...

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
And that video made me sad. It looked like he was hurting them the way he was handling them:(

Germ is speaking more to disrupting their schedule, which can stress them out. Ideally lights on/off should occur about the same time every night.

It's good that you are being such a thoughtful owner. One late night snack isn't going to rot their guts out, though. ;) One time when I was putting my Reggie to bed a cricket came out of her hide and up her basking branch. Of course she snatched it right up. I let the timer turn the lights off a few minutes later, and she was fine the next morning.

I knew not to mess with her schedule, even for a day, because previously I had a problem with my timer and the lights went off in the middle of the day. I didn't noticed for a couple of hours when I went in to feed her. :confused: It's pretty dark in there so when I turned them back in she was incredibly grumpy the rest of the day, hissing and puffing up at me even when I was just minding my own business in the room.

Oh, and moving the tail up to sex them doesn't bother them, as awkward as it looks. Think about their awkward sleeping positions and it makes sense. :D

Mattalie

Juvenile Dragon
Yea alex is very calm. She was quite happy to go back into her basking spot after i turned the lights on for a short while(you guys hadnt answered yet and i was paranoid she would get sick). And this morning when she woke up she was all white on her belly and has been all day.

And if you watch the video he holds one by just the tail and is being a little rough with the baby:(

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
Just my opinion but I'd prolly put her ligjts back on for an hour or two then set them to come on late tomorrow (so she'll have 10full hours of sleep) and congrats on having a girl mama! :)
Well... now I know the RIGHT answer to offer on this issue.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Congrats on your baby girl! Egg binding sounds extremely scary and laying unfertilized eggs sounds really sad, but after reading about seminal plugs, I thought I could learn to deal with egg issues, LOL!

Latest posts