• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Albino BD projects in OZ

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to let you know that there seems to be a bit of evidence of albino BDs popping up lately in OZ i think most people are keeping pretty tight lipped about it for now as i can not find anymore evidence apart from a few new pics and the sale of the het siblings. I will try and keep an eye out for for news but most likely there won't be much for a while as the survival rate of albino BDs have not been great.

here's the link to the ad selling the siblings its a bit far down on the for sale but scroll through and you should find the pics.

http://www.herpshop.com.au/

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Id be interested to know if the albinos are thriving. They have popped up in US clutches before but they tend to die rather quickly.

Also, damn i had no idea yall were working with dragons that were that saturated red. Most australian keepers make it seem like there are no severe colors within the australian genes. From those pictures it looks like yalls colors may actually be above the majority of bloodlines here. And id also be interested to know if they are true albinos (eye color and all) or if they are just a severely light dragon

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
crypticdragons said:
Also, damn i had no idea yall were working with dragons that were that saturated red. Most australian keepers make it seem like there are no severe colors within the australian genes. From those pictures it looks like yalls colors may actually be above the majority of bloodlines here.

LOL that's a "locality pure" colour Bri, The ones in northern part of South Australia are that colour. Believe it or not i have seen specimens even more intense than that. What is lacking in OZ is the multi-coloured dragons you guys have available due to selective breeding. Most breeders tend to work with one dominant "natural" colour here though people are starting to mix and match as well.

Check out the lizard section on the site and find the "giant" ad for the BDs, they are not very long but have some mighty impressive girth lol.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
yeah i was looking through there. there was one in particular that was extremely "thick" the base of the tail alone was larger than anything ive seen in a while. But wow i had no idea that your "locality specific" dragons were that saturated. Whats your opinion on this "albino" gene? Do you think that this may just be the Hypo gene popping up in captive breeding groups over there (or something similar to a hypo).

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I found another add a while back claiming het albinos and i know of documented captive born albinos (pink eyes) in NSW years ago. Usually i pay no attention to them as there has been no evidence of them living to adulthood and if there are then it's a closely guarded secret by a few people. It's just that a few ads have popped up lately, one from SA and another from Vic claiming the same thing, so it could be a secret project being worked on by some breeders. It's hard to tell from those pics with the eyes closed and them being taken so early after hatching. The only other photo of the "albino" with it's clutch mate is from far away with no close up shots of it. I think it may be be a true albino as the last confirmed albino BD here was born from parents of the same locality.

I guess we will have to wait and see what comes of it.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
deffinately will be interesting to see if they survive. To my knowledge not a single albino has made it beyond hatchling stage here in the states. from what i have read about it most seem to think its due to the high sensitivity to UV rays.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have put the feelers out Bri and started asking around and got one credible response from a trusted person in the industry here. Aparently, and this is second hand information, he has a friend that hatches albino P.mitchellis quite regularly. They have one that is about a year old (just goes to show you their chances of survival). It needs to be asist fed as it has poor eyesight or completely blind all together. I'll keep you posted as i get more answers.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Interesting. Please do keep my updated. I would like to know if there is a higher rate of survival due to the much further spread out bloodlines over there.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Well i have gotten a bit more info and from what i can gather is that the chances of them seeing their first year is about 1/20 dragons born as albinos. There are no concrete records of them reaching full maturity just a few speculations and rumours. The general attitude towards albino BDs is not well recieved either about what you would expect for a "silkback" in OZ lol. Their genetic "weakness" and poor health are a concern for serious keepers and purist (no wonder if they are in existance they usually go underground). So the likelyhood of us seeing an adult healthy albino BD anytime soon is pretty much zero, most of them die within their first year.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
albino beardies or animal that needs UVB that are man made is just beyond cruel...i hope none make it long enough to make a distinct line to breed from

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
beardielover17 said:
albino beardies or animal that needs UVB that are man made is just beyond cruel...i hope none make it long enough to make a distinct line to breed from

That was exactly my thought as well.

Latest posts