• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Aggressive bearded dragon

bdog

Bearded Dragon Egg
Our bearded dragon is very aggressive. When we first got it we were worried because it would hardly eat. Now when trying to feed it the thing has literally jumped out of the cage at me trying to get the food sooner. Yesterday I was opening its cage to clean it and it jumped at and bit my hand making me bleed. It isn't mean and it isn't scared I think it thinks we are food.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
May we see pictures of the enclosure? How long have you had him? And How much are you feeding? And may i ask what kind of lighting you have? Lighting and heat are the main factors in a beardies health, if you have an all glass enclosure this will cause the beardie to see their reflection and become very agitated, i suggest getting a background on all 3 sides or put up newspapers inside the tank. Sorry you got bit :(

bdog

Bearded Dragon Egg
The enclosure is black plastic on all sides and sliding glass on front. 4'x2'x2'. It has a long tube UVB light and a heat bulb. We have three of these enclosures stacked. A turtle on the bottom, a uromasytx in the middle, and the beardie on top. The cage is basically right at face level. We got him last summer as a baby. We feed greens almost daily to all three creatures and give the beardie dubia roaches maybe 3-4 times a week.

I have a rubbermaid tub I keep the dubias in with a bunch of torn apart egg cartons in there. Normally I grab a single egg carton piece with some roaches in it and dump those in to its cage on the feed dish. The dragon comes running and will often bite the egg carton and start shaking it. I really don't think he is scared nor do I think he is mean I just think he is a very aggressive eater. The first time he did it I slid his cage door open and was holding the bugs and he jumped completely out of the cage hit my chest and then fell to the floor. I am much more cautious now.

bdog

Bearded Dragon Egg
Despite that it made me bleed the bite didn't really hurt. Startled me more than anything. I had a Colombian boa bite me years ago and that hurt pretty bad. Made me nervous around it.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
The enclosure is black plastic on all sides and sliding glass on front. 4'x2'x2'. It has a long tube UVB light and a heat bulb. We have three of these enclosures stacked. A turtle on the bottom, a uromasytx in the middle, and the beardie on top. The cage is basically right at face level. We got him last summer as a baby. We feed greens almost daily to all three creatures and give the beardie dubia roaches maybe 3-4 times a week.

I have a rubbermaid tub I keep the dubias in with a bunch of torn apart egg cartons in there. Normally I grab a single egg carton piece with some roaches in it and dump those in to its cage on the feed dish. The dragon comes running and will often bite the egg carton and start shaking it. I really don't think he is scared nor do I think he is mean I just think he is a very aggressive eater. The first time he did it I slid his cage door open and was holding the bugs and he jumped completely out of the cage hit my chest and then fell to the floor. I am much more cautious now.
Thats very odd, if you’re keeping the husbandry correct on your uromasytx, im shure you know how to keep the bearded dragon, hows the feeding schedule and how ravenous is your beardie? Can you take a picture of the vent area on your beardie with its tail raised?

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Some beardies are just crazy and have a very high prey drive, i got the opposite, i have to beg my beardie to eat her veggies.

bdog

Bearded Dragon Egg
I think that is it. If you get it out of the cage it seems pretty docile. I went and fed him just now. With me holding the bugs outside his cage he ran up to the glass and followed me and struck at the glass three times.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
How much socializing do you do with the beardie? Take it out, touch its snoot/head/face? Ive hand fed my bearded dragon since she was a baby, and has only bit me once accidentally, And is your other lizard a female? If so she could be releasing Pheromones and that could be making him extra edgy? Idk just a thought..

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The basking temps and UVB play a huge role in the behavior of the dragon -- what are you using for a UVB and where in the tank is it? Basking temps should be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- your insects need to be dusted w/ calcium D 3 or regular depending on what your using for a UVB -- if its a T 5 bulb you need to dust w/ regular calcium w/ out D3 and NO phosphorous

Latest posts