• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Advise on my sick Dragon

Trisha Salvadori

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have a German giant breaded dragon, that is no more than 6 mos old. a friend gave him to me cause he was biting them. i'm uploading a picture of him, we've taken him to the doctors and found out that he had mouth rot and a shedding problem. we've given him antibiotics, still giving him calcium, soaking him everyday, but it seems every other day that he is lethargic and when we soak him he will stick his head in the water and drink for like 25-30 seconds. he'll then be more alert but still he just doesn't look right with all the care we are giving him. any bit of wisdom would be awesome.

Attachments

• IMG_1573.JPG
    IMG_1573.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 15

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello, Trisha. Sorry to hear your dragon has been going through some tough times. Keep up with the antibiotics & he should recover just fine. If your dragon is drinking that much water the meds might be dehydrating it & more baths may be necessary for the duration of his treatment. The lazy behavior is more than likely a side affect of the antibiotics hard at work but continue 2 monitor it's behavior & weight. Keep us posted & don't hesitate asking any other questions u may have.

tdrost

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Good you took him to the vet!
I would double check the temperatures.took me a few days to figure out that my thermometer was off.
I don't know anything about the mouth rot, maybe some others on here have experience with it.
Hope he feels better soon!!

tdrost

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello, Trisha. Sorry to hear your dragon has been going through some tough times. Keep up with the antibiotics & he should recover just fine. If your dragon is drinking that much water the meds might be dehydrating it & more baths may be necessary for the duration of his treatment. The lazy behavior is more than likely a side affect of the antibiotics hard at work but continue 2 monitor it's behavior & weight. Keep us posted & don't hesitate asking any other questions u may have.
didnt think about the meds causing dehydration! makes sense!!
just wondering if you could explain more about this mouth rot to us newbies. what it is, what causes it, prevention?
thanx.

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
didnt think about the meds causing dehydration! makes sense!!
just wondering if you could explain more about this mouth rot to us newbies. what it is, what causes it, prevention?
thanx.
Not sure about the mouth rot either, could have been a bite from a cricket or another feeder.

Trisha Salvadori

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thank you, meds make sense for the thirst, the more soakings is a good suggestion, he seems to be doing better today. more alert and all. the poor little guy has such bad skin build up on his face and head, one eye and ear is almost completely covered, its coming off slowly but looks so uncomfortable. about the mouth rot, i'm not sure what it steams from, but i think it's lack of protein and or stress. about a year ago i rescued my first dragon from an awful little pet store cause she had no UVB lighting. she had MBD she was under developed almost dead when i saw her from having no UVB lighting for a long period and from having no crickets just lettuce, she also had mouth rot. i had to hand feed her baby food with calcium give her two UVB lights, and lots of soaking, so i'm thinking that the way to prevent mouth rot is to feed them the proper diet, crickets every other day, greens and fruit and veggies, vitamins, and proper lighting. i just found out that it is very important to change there UVB lights every 6 months. taking them out in the natural sunlight is also very good. we have a mesh covered cage just for outside to let her safely hang out. about the crickets giving mouth rot i believe isn't correct. crickets can give parasites and they can bite them leading to infection. thank you guys so much for responding and listening. its nice to know other dragon lovers.

Latest posts