• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Advice on unwell bearded dragon

stayfrosty1

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello
I’ve very recently rescued a adult bearded dragon from someone who no longer wanted him. He has settled in nicely and was very lively and enjoyed coming out and sitting on my lap. However, very suddenly this morning he seemed very pale and was not his active self. I tried to see if he would eat anything - He did eat the night before but i’ve not known him to turn down his favourite worms or crickets. At first, I thought this was because he was shedding. But now he appears to have a very dark beard and tail which suggests something else is wrong. To add to this, he’s just pooped a very runny and white poop which could be diarrhoea or over hydration. He is also sleeping during the day which is very unlike him.

Please help if you know anything about a bearded dragon having:
- Pale skin
- Runny white poop
- Not wanting to eat
- Lethargic
- darkened beard and tail
I’m very worried about him and will be taking him to the vet if he doesn’t improve in the next 12 hours, but any advice would be great - thank you

Attachments

• 3B73874B-D3ED-4863-B49C-5BFE10ED53CE.jpeg
    3B73874B-D3ED-4863-B49C-5BFE10ED53CE.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 11

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello
I’ve very recently rescued a adult bearded dragon from someone who no longer wanted him. He has settled in nicely and was very lively and enjoyed coming out and sitting on my lap. However, very suddenly this morning he seemed very pale and was not his active self. I tried to see if he would eat anything - He did eat the night before but i’ve not known him to turn down his favourite worms or crickets. At first, I thought this was because he was shedding. But now he appears to have a very dark beard and tail which suggests something else is wrong. To add to this, he’s just pooped a very runny and white poop which could be diarrhoea or over hydration. He is also sleeping during the day which is very unlike him.

Please help if you know anything about a bearded dragon having:
- Pale skin
- Runny white poop
- Not wanting to eat
- Lethargic
- darkened beard and tail
I’m very worried about him and will be taking him to the vet if he doesn’t improve in the next 12 hours, but any advice would be great - thank you
What kind of UVB are you using? A coil or a tube? Where in the tank is the UVB? top of screen or inside the tank? Basking temps what are they and how are you getting them? NO stickons they are inaccurate -- temps should be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer and they should be surface temps not air or ambient -- these two things I asked about are crucial to the dragon they are the lifeline-- hes going to go thru relocation stress where eating will be off --the beard does not appear to be black --- How old is the UVB bulb? The tail is fine it looks like shed is coming on --

stayfrosty1

Bearded Dragon Egg
What kind of UVB are you using? A coil or a tube? Where in the tank is the UVB? top of screen or inside the tank? Basking temps what are they and how are you getting them? NO stickons they are inaccurate -- temps should be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer and they should be surface temps not air or ambient -- these two things I asked about are crucial to the dragon they are the lifeline-- hes going to go thru relocation stress where eating will be off --the beard does not appear to be black --- How old is the UVB bulb? The tail is fine it looks like shed is coming on --
It’s a coil UVB from above the tank which is around 2 months old. The digital thermometer says the basking spot is 90 and it’s using a 60w bulb. Would you recommend a higher watt bulb for more heat, and should i replace the UVB just in case it’s no longer effective?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It’s a coil UVB from above the tank which is around 2 months old. The digital thermometer says the basking spot is 90 and it’s using a 60w bulb. Would you recommend a higher watt bulb for more heat, and should i replace the UVB just in case it’s no longer effective?
Get rid of the coil please they are NO good and inadequate - this is the issue -- please get a 24" Zoo Med fixture for a 40+ gallon tank - this comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you will need a 22" 10.0 T 5 or a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb or a Sunblaster Nano Tech 6400 bulb -- depending on the screen on the tank will determine placement and distance -- get this ASAP---- basking temps need to be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stickin ons get this fixed ASAP--- please get the UVB and the basking temps fixed and in order and he should start eating again how old is the dragon? If you want websites for the UVB or anything else please ask I will post them but your dragon needs this stuff NOW --

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Get rid of the coil please they are NO good and inadequate - this is the issue -- please get a 24" Zoo Med fixture for a 40+ gallon tank - this comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you will need a 22" 10.0 T 5 or a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb or a Sunblaster Nano Tech 6400 bulb -- depending on the screen on the tank will determine placement and distance -- get this ASAP---- basking temps need to be 105-110 for a baby or 95-100 for a adult dragon/ juvie taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stickin ons get this fixed ASAP--- please get the UVB and the basking temps fixed and in order and he should start eating again how old is the dragon? If you want websites for the UVB or anything else please ask I will post them but your dragon needs this stuff NOW --

Latest posts