• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Advice needed

Stephanieayla

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm looking into buying a bearded dragon. I have a 7 and 9 year old and they are both reptile lovers like their momma. From what I understand, they are easier to handle than geckos. My only issue is that I don't have time to run to the store every few days for fresh crickets. Does anybody have suggestions? Can you order by mail? Any reputable sites? Does it have to be crickets or is their a worm that is easier (and less mobile) to keep in quantity on the home? I read about reptiworm and seems they are better Han meal and wax worms bc they don't have the chitin. Any advice is so appreciated!!!

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Dubia roaches are the best staple insect and they are easy to keep. They are quiet and don't smell like crickets do. You can even breed them yourself. The nutritional value of a roach is 5 to 7 times that of a cricket. Silkworms are good too, but not always cheap.

If you start with a baby beardie, feeders get expensive really quick, so being able to produce your own feeders is a huge plus.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm looking into buying a bearded dragon. I have a 7 and 9 year old and they are both reptile lovers like their momma. From what I understand, they are easier to handle than geckos. My only issue is that I don't have time to run to the store every few days for fresh crickets. Does anybody have suggestions? Can you order by mail? Any reputable sites? Does it have to be crickets or is their a worm that is easier (and less mobile) to keep in quantity on the home? I read about reptiworm and seems they are better Han meal and wax worms bc they don't have the chitin. Any advice is so appreciated!!!
Welcome to the forum and I'm glad to hear that you have kids that are reptile lovers as well.. Take your time and make sure this is something you want to do as they live a long time some up to 15..A few of us have put together informational link that you can find at the bottom of few of our comments.. In that link "general info for new comers" you will find all the info you are looking for and more I'm sure lol
lots of places to order online, for sure WAY easier to raise and WAY cheaper.. If you live in a state that allows Dubia roaches (not your typical roach) they are the way to go for a staple. If you live in say FL you can have Discoid roaches... Roaches are expensive to buy so raising is the way to go and super easy and really good for them... I haven't bought them in over a year now my colony is self sustaining. I will buy some to get new adults at some point.
Superworms, silkworms are good ones. There are also waxworms, hornworms, butterworms and phoenix worms..
But please take a read on the link for more info.
Look forward to hearing more from you and ask whatever

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran

Welcome! I think you guys will really enjoy having one of these guys/gals in your home they are awesome companions. As mentioned, a few of the more experienced members put together some great info that has really helped me out a ton with my girl. So give it a read when you have the chance.

Repti worms (aka Phoenix worms, calci worms, and black solider fly larvae) are excellent staples. They are loaded with calcium which is very beneficial to beardies. If you don't want to mess with crickets, which I really don't blame you lol, as mentioned there are quite a few other good choices which are better than crickets imo. You can order black solider fly larvae online in bulk. There are a lot of good vendors online to choose from. Amazon as well as eBay have been my go to places. They just seem to be the cheapest places I can find most insects. Just explore the web for different vendors.

Best of luck to you guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk