• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Advice for my beardie

TallJRock

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi,

My beardie just turned a year old and had her first visit to the vet and she had a very good visit, everything looked well. That was about 3 weeks ago. Over the last week, she has become very rambunctious, doing things she never did since upgrading her enclosure 6 months ago. She is in a 4x2x2 enclosure, all temps are good, uvb bulb was replaced after 6 months and she gets a lot of time with us and enriching activities.

She is basically doing some glass (plexiglass) surfing, running back and forth in her enclosure and just wants to run around. She doesn't appear stressed when doing this, her coloration is normal and she is pooping as normal. I did notice that she did what I thought was unusual poop which was a white milky poop(not urate). I thought maybe she was gravid but the vet didn't feel any eggs a couple weeks ago. She does eventually calm down and her normal evening routine of falling asleep on us and being put to bed by us on her wall still happens. Just during the day she is overly active.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Sorry I didn't get a picture of that unusual poop. Thanks!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi,

My beardie just turned a year old and had her first visit to the vet and she had a very good visit, everything looked well. That was about 3 weeks ago. Over the last week, she has become very rambunctious, doing things she never did since upgrading her enclosure 6 months ago. She is in a 4x2x2 enclosure, all temps are good, uvb bulb was replaced after 6 months and she gets a lot of time with us and enriching activities.

She is basically doing some glass (plexiglass) surfing, running back and forth in her enclosure and just wants to run around. She doesn't appear stressed when doing this, her coloration is normal and she is pooping as normal. I did notice that she did what I thought was unusual poop which was a white milky poop(not urate). I thought maybe she was gravid but the vet didn't feel any eggs a couple weeks ago. She does eventually calm down and her normal evening routine of falling asleep on us and being put to bed by us on her wall still happens. Just during the day she is overly active.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Sorry I didn't get a picture of that unusual poop. Thanks!
Unusual behavior could be many things -- what is the UVB your using and where is it? Are you taking surface basking temps w/ a digital probe thermometer and what are they? Have you changed her diet at all ? the milky poop is a slimy type poop -- if she does it again post a pic of it please --

TallJRock

Bearded Dragon Egg
The t5 10.0 bulb is inside hanging and just recently replaced in 6 months. Surface temps are taken with a digital and daytime basking area reaches just over 100, maybe 105 at the top, the surface temps on the cool side reach around 80-85, night temps go down in the mid 70s or maybe a touch lower on average. The only Diet change is just trying to switch her to more greens less protein. I do make sure she gets either crickets or superworms, just less than before. She doesn't eat her greens well, but I feed her a variety of mostly Collard greens as the normal, mixing in some kale, turnip and carrot greens when I can get them, some berries and fruit as a more occasional treat with a horn worm as the protein treat. Some other fruits and vegetables as treats that are suitable. If she does that white milky poop again I'll get a pic.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The t5 10.0 bulb is inside hanging and just recently replaced in 6 months. Surface temps are taken with a digital and daytime basking area reaches just over 100, maybe 105 at the top, the surface temps on the cool side reach around 80-85, night temps go down in the mid 70s or maybe a touch lower on average. The only Diet change is just trying to switch her to more greens less protein. I do make sure she gets either crickets or superworms, just less than before. She doesn't eat her greens well, but I feed her a variety of mostly Collard greens as the normal, mixing in some kale, turnip and carrot greens when I can get them, some berries and fruit as a more occasional treat with a horn worm as the protein treat. Some other fruits and vegetables as treats that are suitable. If she does that white milky poop again I'll get a pic.
Is she used to getting out of her tank? All sounds good just make sure your UVB is directly over the basking decor piece 12-15 inches --- I would start feeding her some dubia roaches 2-3 times per week and try some silk worms or BSFL for toppings on the salads - use them as lures - the BSFL are small add in front of her and your gonna need a bowl they cant get out of - they are a larvae so order large if you get them - both are staple feeders - horn worms are a good lure as well -- silk worms stick to everything so she will get salad if you put them in the bowl --

TallJRock

Bearded Dragon Egg
She loves to be out, we give her exercise regularly and she is the sweetest and gentlest little girl, she is very cuddly even with strangers. I will definitely try the dubia roaches, I have heard about them. They are expensive retail but I wouldn't be feeding her as many as when she was young so these could be an option. I didn't think of the silk or bsfl, but this might help get her to eat more greens. We do that to some extent with the superworms but they are large so you can only do a few at a time, but she will get some greens sometimes with the worms. When I had my bowls made, I didn't think to add a lip to hold in worms and larvae, but I'll look into that. Thanks for the advice, so much appreciated.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She loves to be out, we give her exercise regularly and she is the sweetest and gentlest little girl, she is very cuddly even with strangers. I will definitely try the dubia roaches, I have heard about them. They are expensive retail but I wouldn't be feeding her as many as when she was young so these could be an option. I didn't think of the silk or bsfl, but this might help get her to eat more greens. We do that to some extent with the superworms but they are large so you can only do a few at a time, but she will get some greens sometimes with the worms. When I had my bowls made, I didn't think to add a lip to hold in worms and larvae, but I'll look into that. Thanks for the advice, so much appreciated.
Try this website insects are cheaper on line and pet stores are unreliable www.dubiaroaches.com
They have bsfl also known as nutrigrubs - horn worms and I get my super worms from flukersinsects they have really nice ones

TallJRock

Bearded Dragon Egg
I did order some dubias and nutrigrubs and will try to see if these help. She was mostly back to normal for a couple days, nothing out of the ordinary, but today she did that strange poop and is a bit rambunctious again. It is mostly clear with some white milky looking stuff in it. I got a pic, I'll attach it. There are pieces of her driftwood in there, she didn't digest those, they flake off the driftwood.

20220913_124530.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I did order some dubias and nutrigrubs and will try to see if these help. She was mostly back to normal for a couple days, nothing out of the ordinary, but today she did that strange poop and is a bit rambunctious again. It is mostly clear with some white milky looking stuff in it. I got a pic, I'll attach it. There are pieces of her driftwood in there, she didn't digest those, they flake off the driftwood.

View attachment 32702
Your dragon is a female? I am gonna get some help w/ this one --

TallJRock

Bearded Dragon Egg
I was told when I bought her she was, and the vet said she was (although I didn't hold much confidence in their reasoning). We raise her as female but thought she might be a male, which didn't matter, we would still call her Arya lol. I guess because she's a year old and we didn't see anything of eggs that we had suspicions.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I was told when I bought her she was, and the vet said she was (although I didn't hold much confidence in their reasoning). We raise her as female but thought she might be a male, which didn't matter, we would still call her Arya lol. I guess because she's a year old and we didn't see anything of eggs that we had suspicions.
Ok if you post a pic of the vent w/ tail in the air -- have her on a table and raise the tail w/ the vent to the camera -- we can see if shes male / female -- I want someone to look at the poop that is familiar w/ eggs etc -- waiting to hear back from her

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
View attachment 32704

Oh just to let you know, that white 'poop' had no odor.
Ok I heard back from the person I reached out to and this is what she has said

Being a female she might be gearing up to lay eggs. It would be good to set up a laybox, see how to do that on youtube. As far as you trying to feel infertile eggs , you usually can't so she very well may be carrying some.

And yes she is female -- I see only flat above the vent and no bumps

TallJRock

Bearded Dragon Egg
That's good news, I will be getting a lay box set up tomorrow in preparation if she does need to lay eggs. Thanks so much for all your help, I will let you know how things continue and if and when she lays eggs.

Latest posts