• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Advice for a skink and pinworms

donprec

Juvenile Dragon
I really appreciate the advice that I read on here so even though this isn't about a bearded, I'm coming here to see if you all could help me.
I have a 4 month old Blue Tongue Skink, had her for almost a month. She's wonderful, seems to be doing well and getting comfortable and calm with us...even seems to know and respond to her name already. Appetite is great, she's definitely grown quite a bit in the short time we've had her.
I took her to the vet, had a fecal done. The fecal came back with pinworm eggs in it but the vet tech that I talked to said that the vet doesn't treat pinworms because they're very common in all animals and especially reptiles, easy to catch again, and may even be beneficial to their gut (or something like that). I was quick to remind them that my bearded had a fecal done not too long ago and didn't have pinworms.
Anyway, aside from the fact that I was kind of put off by not being able to treat it for handling reasons, I am now getting more concerned because I just realized that her poop has turned white. For 2 days, I saw what I thought was urates in her tank, but no poop. Then last night I soaked her in the sink to soften a little shed she had around her toes (she'd already come here missing one back toe, the vet said it was probably because of a bad shed and that I should monitor the shed around her toes in the future). She peed and then pooped just as the water drained in the sink and I could clearly see that what I thought was urates was obviously a full load of white poop. Other than color, it was a solid normal looking poop.
So what should I do now? I can only assume this is because of the pinworms? Should I call the vet back up tomorrow (they're closed on Sundays) and ask for treatment? Or...should I just order liquid panacur which I found available on the beautifuldragons website?
I guess I'm probably even more scared/paranoid with her because she's such a little baby, I feel like anything that I do...wrong or not...will affect her growth and health in the future. Thanks in advance...

Mushuandcricket

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I can understand worrying. I wouldn't say its an emergency to call today but if concerned tomorrow am I would call tomorrow. I also wouldn't follow a Panacur recommendation from a Bearded dragon forum since they are a different type of reptile. Maybe some one who owns one can help out on this forum. Is there any Skink forums out there if no one is able to help here?

donprec

Juvenile Dragon
You're right, I hadn't thought of that. I got her on a whim at a reptile show and originally thought raising her shouldn't be too different from the beardeds but I have found that they are very different. And unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be near as much information on them as for a bearded.
I'll call the vet today and see what they say. Thanks for your response Mushu!

Latest posts