• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Adopted Beardie with Concern for Front Leg

RashoK

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello all...new to the forum as we just adopted a Beardie. My wife's employee gifted Norman to us due to her son not putting in the time or effort to care anymore. She wanted a good home and since my 15 yr old leopard gecko just passed, I thought it would be a good time.

I went off of pictures and he looked healthy and she has a wide array of healthy animals. Maybe he's a little thin. I believe he is a year old or just under. Have him now in a 75G tank with 150W basking (20in away) with a 10.0 UVB T5 HO bulb.

My concern is his front right leg. All others look good. No visible spine issues. Temperament seemed good and mobility seems good...but he won't walk on his foot and it appears curved under.

Any thoughts? I hate to think he has MBD. Could it have been broken? Any chance of it coming out of it with the right diet, vitamin D and calcium?

Any thoughts on short and long term health and whether he can still be a great pet would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20230722_085837.jpg
    20230722_085837.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 13
  • 20230722_103843.jpg
    20230722_103843.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello all...new to the forum as we just adopted a Beardie. My wife's employee gifted Norman to us due to her son not putting in the time or effort to care anymore. She wanted a good home and since my 15 yr old leopard gecko just passed, I thought it would be a good time.

I went off of pictures and he looked healthy and she has a wide array of healthy animals. Maybe he's a little thin. I believe he is a year old or just under. Have him now in a 75G tank with 150W basking (20in away) with a 10.0 UVB T5 HO bulb.

My concern is his front right leg. All others look good. No visible spine issues. Temperament seemed good and mobility seems good...but he won't walk on his foot and it appears curved under.

Any thoughts? I hate to think he has MBD. Could it have been broken? Any chance of it coming out of it with the right diet, vitamin D and calcium?

Any thoughts on short and long term health and whether he can still be a great pet would be appreciated.
Are there any or were there any hammocks in the tank? Please have your T 5 directly above him w/ a distance of 12-15 inches I would set it for around 13 -- how are you getting your surface basking temps? Analogs are inaccurate and give only ambient temps- you want a digital probe thermometer - they should be 95-100 -- he does look thin make sure hes getting water --- you can rinse his salads before serving - here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale info it is outdated and is a great staple feeder -- http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
you can order insects on line they are cheaper than pet stores - I can post websites if you need them - all this I am posting about your lighting is crucial for him -- especially the foot --

RashoK

Bearded Dragon Egg
Are there any or were there any hammocks in the tank? Please have your T 5 directly above him w/ a distance of 12-15 inches I would set it for around 13 -- how are you getting your surface basking temps? Analogs are inaccurate and give only ambient temps- you want a digital probe thermometer - they should be 95-100 -- he does look thin make sure hes getting water --- you can rinse his salads before serving - here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale info it is outdated and is a great staple feeder -- http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
you can order insects on line they are cheaper than pet stores - I can post websites if you need them - all this I am posting about your lighting is crucial for him -- especially the foot --
Thank you for the quick response. Only received him yesterday (sooner than I was expecting) so playing a little catch-up.

The tank is a little taller than I wanted but was available at my LPS. It's 48x21x18. Maybe 48x20. Did order a digital thermometer from Amazon but hasn't arrived. So, going off some recommended bulbs given the distance. He appears to enjoy the basking 150W on this first day. Did create a shaded cave for him as well. The T5 10.0 bulb is probably too big. The LPS owner did sell me the 48 inch tube that covers the entire length. Both bulbs are sitting above the mesh top but I read the High Output bulb would still be sufficient.

Given all that, I will make sure I dial in the Temps when it arrives. Will also do calcium on the greens in the morning and dubias in the PM. He did eat one today (smallest they had was 3/4 inch no problem. Wouldn't eat a 2nd though. I can tell he's stressed on this first day, but will let me handle him (mouth open smile though :)).

My main concern is this curled under foot. Hope I can somehow reverse it so he doesn't have a permanent disability.

Certainly welcome to any additional feedback. Just keep in mind I'm on day one.

Thanks again!!
20230722_120706.jpg
20230722_120722.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you for the quick response. Only received him yesterday (sooner than I was expecting) so playing a little catch-up.

The tank is a little taller than I wanted but was available at my LPS. It's 48x21x18. Maybe 48x20. Did order a digital thermometer from Amazon but hasn't arrived. So, going off some recommended bulbs given the distance. He appears to enjoy the basking 150W on this first day. Did create a shaded cave for him as well. The T5 10.0 bulb is probably too big. The LPS owner did sell me the 48 inch tube that covers the entire length. Both bulbs are sitting above the mesh top but I read the High Output bulb would still be sufficient.

Given all that, I will make sure I dial in the Temps when it arrives. Will also do calcium on the greens in the morning and dubias in the PM. He did eat one today (smallest they had was 3/4 inch no problem. Wouldn't eat a 2nd though. I can tell he's stressed on this first day, but will let me handle him (mouth open smile though :)).

My main concern is this curled under foot. Hope I can somehow reverse it so he doesn't have a permanent disability.

Certainly welcome to any additional feedback. Just keep in mind I'm on day one.

Thanks again!!View attachment 34291View attachment 34292
The tank height is good -- the long UVB same as the length is NOT- can you exchange it for a 24 or 36" ---- you need it in the tank --- unless the screen is a wide hole type it needs to be one unobstructed w/ NO screen or inside the tank - the 48" is too long - we never recommend the same length of the tank -- your digital thermometer is one w/ a probe?????? You need the probe or your only get ambient temps --- the UVB is what is going to help the foot heal --- I dont see a hammock so that would not be the culprit for the foot -- I am going to have Tracie our vet tech on here look at it and see what she thinks -- but in the meantime we need to get the UVB and the surface basking temps up to par --- please dont dust the salads --- he needs the insects dusted as we know hes going to eat them -- how old is the dragon? If hes under a year old he still needs insects every day dusted 5 x per week ONCE per feeding----- if hes over a year old he should be getting them 2-3 times per week dusted w/ calcium D3 once per week and the other 2 days calcium w/ out D 3 --
@Drache613

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

That is too bad about your gecko, 15 years is a long haul so he must have been a happy little one!
Sorry for the delay! How are things going? He is a little cutie. Since you just received him, his condition
definitely isn't your fault, bless him.
Hopefully it isn't metabolic bone disease, so many fall victim to it. His spine looks good & his jaw appears
to be in alignment so I agree, it could be simply a broken wrist perhaps. You are using a Reptisun 10 T5
tube, mounted on the inside of his tank? Can he put some weight on it, or does it stay twisted around all
of the time?
Is he able to move on that wrist very well? Overall he doesn't look too bad. For now, I would definitely
recommend giving calcium at least 3-4 times weekly. Since you will be using a T5 tube, I wouldn't use
the D3 too often, since it can become toxic.
Your tank looks really nice also! How long have you had that? He is a lucky fellow being adoptedby you
& your family.

Tracie

RashoK

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you Sadie for the follow-up. I think he's doing good. I did take your advice and removed the large 48 inch UVB (unfortunately my LPS did not take it back). I replaced with on that is 2/3 the tank and installed inside...

Screenshot_20230824_155434_Photos.jpg

I then have the heat lamp over the mesh but the temps range from 100 to 107 based on the legnth of time on and temp in my room.

Feeding him a salad in the morning of Collard greens and squash. He's only randomly interested. Some days I see some leaves gone and others he doesn't touch. He does like Dubia Roaches and we usually feed him those with a dusting of Calcium w/ D3 a couple times a week, ReptiVite a couple times, and then Calcium without D3 the other days. Occasionally a horned worm as a treat. He likes those more than the roaches. My LPS only has huge roaches (1+ inch) which he'll eat three of those. Went on Dubia.com and ordered 3/4 inch and he'll eat 10 to 15 of those.

He appears to be growing and improving in color. I am still concerned with his bent front foot. That does not appear to be getting better in this relative short time. His mobility is good, but it is annoying to me to see him with this ailment/deformity. If there was a splint or soft cast that could help, I would try it...but I don't think that would be practical. Open to any advice. Here's another picture of the foot the week after we received him (still applies):

Screenshot_20230824_155516_Photos.jpg

Finally, here is a recent picture of him. Look forward to receiving any comments, tips or advice. Thanks!!

20230823_100819.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you Sadie for the follow-up. I think he's doing good. I did take your advice and removed the large 48 inch UVB (unfortunately my LPS did not take it back). I replaced with on that is 2/3 the tank and installed inside...

View attachment 34479

I then have the heat lamp over the mesh but the temps range from 100 to 107 based on the legnth of time on and temp in my room.

Feeding him a salad in the morning of Collard greens and squash. He's only randomly interested. Some days I see some leaves gone and others he doesn't touch. He does like Dubia Roaches and we usually feed him those with a dusting of Calcium w/ D3 a couple times a week, ReptiVite a couple times, and then Calcium without D3 the other days. Occasionally a horned worm as a treat. He likes those more than the roaches. My LPS only has huge roaches (1+ inch) which he'll eat three of those. Went on Dubia.com and ordered 3/4 inch and he'll eat 10 to 15 of those.

He appears to be growing and improving in color. I am still concerned with his bent front foot. That does not appear to be getting better in this relative short time. His mobility is good, but it is annoying to me to see him with this ailment/deformity. If there was a splint or soft cast that could help, I would try it...but I don't think that would be practical. Open to any advice. Here's another picture of the foot the week after we received him (still applies):

View attachment 34480
Finally, here is a recent picture of him. Look forward to receiving any comments, tips or advice. Thanks!!

View attachment 34481
Hes looking good - please get a piece of basking decor directly under the UVB 12-15 inches --- can you get a better picture of that foot- I want Tracie to take a look at it and see what the issue is --

RashoK

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hes looking good - please get a piece of basking decor directly under the UVB 12-15 inches --- can you get a better picture of that foot- I want Tracie to take a look at it and see what the issue is --
Sadie,

I do have the UVB angled to go over that piece of wood. It's about 12 inches away from the light on the inside of the mesh top....

20230824_172836.jpg

20230824_172845.jpg

As for the foot (right front)...take a look (need to clean out some of the shed) and let me know what you think I can do (Tracie too). Everything I've read makes it appear like it was the onset of MBD. Still, I don't see any other symptoms. The prior owner doesn't recall any drops or injuries. Like I said before, it doesn't appear that he is in any pain, but it is unfortunate and kind of unsightly. Don't know if it's worth going to the vet, applying some sort of splint or soft cast, or simply leave it and hope he'll straight it out as he gets older. Appreciate your feedback...

20230825_134914.jpg

Screenshot_20230825_135146_Photos.jpg

20230825_133935~2.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sadie,

I do have the UVB angled to go over that piece of wood. It's about 12 inches away from the light on the inside of the mesh top....

View attachment 34483

View attachment 34484

As for the foot (right front)...take a look (need to clean out some of the shed) and let me know what you think I can do (Tracie too). Everything I've read makes it appear like it was the onset of MBD. Still, I don't see any other symptoms. The prior owner doesn't recall any drops or injuries. Like I said before, it doesn't appear that he is in any pain, but it is unfortunate and kind of unsightly. Don't know if it's worth going to the vet, applying some sort of splint or soft cast, or simply leave it and hope he'll straight it out as he gets older. Appreciate your feedback...

View attachment 34485
View attachment 34486
View attachment 34487
It could be deformed - I don't know if a splint would work- Tracie needs to look and advise

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Overall, it doesn't seem to be metabolic bone disease, just because his mobility is good & his spine
& jaw look aligned properly.
It is highly possible that he broke it at some point, or, at least fractured it when he was younger & it
didn't heal right.
You could try to get some athletic tape & gauge to do a wrapping of his hand & wrist to see if you can
get it to straighten out any. Using a figure 8 design, as you would on a sprained ankle to makeshift a
type of supportive cast or brace is very effective. It wouldn't have to be real tight but wrapped firm
enough to try & support it to see if it would straighten it up any as he grows.
How often do you give calcium? Your UVB is all setup properly now also, per Sadie's help?

Tracie

Latest posts