• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

acclimating to new food

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
You may have already tried this, but I have been experimenting with different veggies with my youngster when I feed him crickets (his obvious favorite). I will give him a few crickets then have him sample a veggie. So far I have noticed he REALLY hates carrots. Going to the grocer tonight to pick up some different green leafies and such. :)

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Didn't quite work out the way I expected. We got home from the store and I could tell he was pretty hungry. I dusted up some crickets, and he's already learned that's the dinner bell. :D So I mixed my strategy up. After dusting I handed him a collard green and he snatched it up! About halfway through he figured out my ruse and only ate half.

So I gave him two crickets and then another snippet of collard. That time he took it from my hand. Can you believe it? First hand feeding of my baby BD was a veggie. Never woulda guessed that! :cool:

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
That's really cool Augie:) Just be forewarned that beardies get spoiled very easily and quickly..try to keep any hand feeding to a minimum as doing it too often can lead to them not eating period unless you hand feed them. lol:confused:

Enjoy!!

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks bud, you make a good point. When I throw crickets in there I try not to put them too close to him so 1. He has to chase them because 2. The exact reason you just gave. Plus, it's just too darn cute watching him scurry around to pounce on a meal. He then looks up at me as if to say, "Ok pops where's the next one going?!?" :D

NerJaro

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks bud, you make a good point. When I throw crickets in there I try not to put them too close to him so 1. He has to chase them because 2. The exact reason you just gave. Plus, it's just too darn cute watching him scurry around to pounce on a meal. He then looks up at me as if to say, "Ok pops where's the next one going?!?" :D

Misty does the same, i actually toss in 20 or so at a time so she can forage and look for them.

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Well darn, my little technique seems to have failed, well in a way I guess. He completely destroys crickets, which is good since at least he is eating. But he absolutely hates grapes, apples, strawberries, and carrots. He's only eaten the collard greens I got twice. The greens are cheap at only 88 cents a bunch, but the other stuff isn't cheap (I offered it to him because we already had it available attending to guests we had over the weekend).

I have some pineapple I may try tomorrow, but it looks like I am equally open to advice. I don't try to over feed him non live stuff, but it doesn't look like he's getting enough. I'll keep offering, but, any suggestions? :D

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Well darn, my little technique seems to have failed, well in a way I guess. He completely destroys crickets, which is good since at least he is eating. But he absolutely hates grapes, apples, strawberries, and carrots. He's only eaten the collard greens I got twice. The greens are cheap at only 88 cents a bunch, but the other stuff isn't cheap (I offered it to him because we already had it available attending to guests we had over the weekend).

I have some pineapple I may try tomorrow, but it looks like I am equally open to advice. I don't try to over feed him non live stuff, but it doesn't look like he's getting enough. I'll keep offering, but, any suggestions? :D

Just my opinion but I would try sticking with basics and not worrying so much about the amount of greens he is or isn't eating. You also have to remember that fruits are not a good staple food for them partly because they have a high sugar content as well as being mostly water. I only feed fruits as occasional treats and that is what they are meant for. Carrots are also very high in vitamin A and should not be used as a staple either because of that.
Most dragons are finicky about their salad intake especially when they are young. It's also not uncommon to see a young dragon that won't touch greens period and will only eat live prey. As they get older most dragons so more interest in the veggies. You said that he loved the collards that you got so I would certainly continue offering those as his staple veggie every day. They are one of the best veggie staples. Those along with proper dusting of his live prey will provide him with plenty of nutrition.
Also as to his live feeder intake you really don't have to worry about over-feeding him on crickets because he will stop eating when he is full on his own so I would offer him as many as he wants with the exception of Waxworms as they have a very high fat content and should only be used as treats anyway.

Just my 4 cents worth:)
Enjoy!!

Latest posts