• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Accidently Eaten a green caterpillar from a tree??

sandfire9

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I don't know if this topic should go in the health posts but right now when I had my beardie out for a while he accidently got a green caterpillar from the ground and ate it! Does this affect him later on? If it's dealing with eating health risks I guess this will count as placing in here... :-\

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's hard to say without knowing what type of caterpillar it was. They are not supposed to eat insects in the wild because they may contain diseases, etc. I would keep a close eye on behavior. Any changes, get him to a vet.

You may want to take a fecal sample to get checked out. But this is being extremely cautious.

beardielover

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
he should be fine. they eat all kinds of things in the wild. caterpillars are part of their diet. as renee said, watch him for about a week. if it was poisoness, you would have seen a reaction already. just be careful when you go out again. insects outside carry all sorts of things and parasites is one of them.

sandfire9

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
okay. By now he's alright and he hasn't pooed yet... it was a small insect hough. I do think he may be allright. (-._.-') Thankyous again for informing me!!! (^.0.^)

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
When was the last time he pooped? If it has been a couple of days, keep giving him a warm bath and massage his tummy gently.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How is he doing today?

Still not pooping?

If so you can take a green apple and cut a slice out of it. Cut the meat out of this slice and very finely chop it up. Then feed that to him. Apples are a natural laxative he will be pooping in no time (just in case he has any kind of blockage)

Latest posts