• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Accidental step on.

rparks18

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yesterday night, my boyfriend accidentally stepped on my beardie. we quickly rushed him to the animal hospital due to him having to only open mouth breathe due to the incident. We got xrays done, they told me that he had Pulmonary Contusions. My beardie came home last night, as i didn’t want to pay 2200$ for a hospital stay of 3 days! When we brought my beardie home he was excited it seemed. I allowed her to go on the floor when we got home to just move around as he was at the vet for 5 hours prior. While the vet told me he can breathe on his own. he open mouth breathes every hour or so. once or twice. i’m assuming this is the new normal for a few days until them bruises heal. should i be worried? or just keep watching the behaviour and make sure it doesn’t change. He has lumps on his sides, the doctors said that should go away within 12-24 hours.

Attachments

• 1979F561-2694-49BD-9409-1709524E1D3C.jpeg
    1979F561-2694-49BD-9409-1709524E1D3C.jpeg
    209.3 KB · Views: 109
  • 79CB36F1-E817-40CB-99C6-40DF423C9426.jpeg
    79CB36F1-E817-40CB-99C6-40DF423C9426.jpeg
    426 KB · Views: 104
  • 6C5AFD6D-64ED-4526-A1F0-A6FC18231402.jpeg
    6C5AFD6D-64ED-4526-A1F0-A6FC18231402.jpeg
    227.7 KB · Views: 104

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Keep watching his behavior and call a vet if anything seems to change or if you're feeling concerned. If the lumps don't go away, it's safest to assume something is very wrong and get him to the vet. Do you know reptile CPR? It might be useful if he stops breathing.
If possible, you might also want to get a second opinion from another vet, just to be sure.
Hoping your beardie gets well soon.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yesterday night, my boyfriend accidentally stepped on my beardie. we quickly rushed him to the animal hospital due to him having to only open mouth breathe due to the incident. We got xrays done, they told me that he had Pulmonary Contusions. My beardie came home last night, as i didn’t want to pay 2200$ for a hospital stay of 3 days! When we brought my beardie home he was excited it seemed. I allowed her to go on the floor when we got home to just move around as he was at the vet for 5 hours prior. While the vet told me he can breathe on his own. he open mouth breathes every hour or so. once or twice. i’m assuming this is the new normal for a few days until them bruises heal. should i be worried? or just keep watching the behaviour and make sure it doesn’t change. He has lumps on his sides, the doctors said that should go away within 12-24 hours.
I would watch his behavior as well and his beard - if it turns black hes in distress or pain-- it good nothing was broke- and yes the opening of the mouth is probably from bruised ribs --- glad nothing is broke

rparks18

Bearded Dragon Egg
Oh i am so happy nothing is broke either! We were heart broken. so heart broken we never left the parking lot while he was at the hospital! His beard seems to be the same colour as him. so hopefully he’s feeling okay today. he ate last night after coming home so i’m sure he’ll eat once he’s moving around a bit more today.

Latest posts