• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A well-deserved update for Puff.

wiiiroc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Staring at Puff's viv has just ticked me off for the past few days, so I decided to do something about it :)

Here's before. This is what the tank originally looked like when I got it from the owner.
There was:

Dirty regular sand.
Dirty branches.
Sun Glo 100W Basking Spot Lamp
Repti Glo 10.0UVB Compact Fluorescent Lamp
No thermometers
Generally not pleasing to look at, though the tank is in good condition (no cracks)
4546540_20.jpg

So I got rid of the sand and scrubbed down the tank using bleach and water. I rinses, and rinsed, Windex'd, and rinsed. I put in some ZooMed Excavator Clay, but did not use very much water. I used it really as a grout for the textured ceramic tiles I picked up (holy were they ever cheap!)
I disinfected some craft rocks with boiling water to add a little funk in the sand/"clay"
I also put in some plants I had gotten from the petstore.
Gave him a smaller food dish. Added thermometers (which I will be upgrading to digital next paycheck)
And also installed a Solar Glo Mercury Vapor Bulb - 160 watt
I do have a brand new Sun Glo 100W Basking Spot Lamp on hand if the above bulb burns out.
During the next few days I'll be making my own backdrops for him as I hear it's more pleasing and less stressful on him.
Also, the Styrofoam is great. He likes to climb on it and it looks nice... but he does destroy it. I'd have to replace it.
It wouldn't be so bad if the crickets didn't constantly go back there to hide. Now he can't get his food and it sucks to continuously remove for him. So as soon as it's too beat up I will take it out and just have the backdrop on the sides.

I feel like this is a good change for him and I hope he likes it :)
I cannot wait until my boyfriend and I get a house next year. I have big plans to make my own giant viv! Woo-hoo!

IMGP1219.jpg

Cool Side:
IMGP1220.jpg

Warm Side:
IMGP1222.jpg

NOW ONE MORE THING!!!
This is a pretty hot bulb I'm working with.
I'm wondering if the petstore fake plants I put in the viv are a fire hazard risk? As it says don't put the bulb near curtains and that.

angel

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I have fake plants in my viv and as long as they dont touch the lamp they are fine i had the sitting right under the lmp by accident and they melted a bit but nothing bad just keep them out of the direct contact.
the viv looks great simple things can definately change it up alot. to dissinfect you can use a mix of bleach and water and soak things like branches or whtever just rinse and let dry completely or you can bake them at 350f for an hour or so and allow to cool before adding to viv good way to do rocks ,i went to the beach and river banks and got some cool rocks and baked them , the petstores charge a ton for rocks and branches its retarded lol so be creative.
Were planning a massive viv construction soon too seeing all the pics and posts here made us envious lol hope you plan on posting pics when you get underway ;D

wiiiroc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Oh I'll definitely post pictures! it won't be for awhile but once I get started it's gonna be one smokin' hot viv that's for sure :D

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You might wanna move the solar glo mercury vapor bulb up around 12 more inches... Those 160's put out a Tremendous amount of heat, and concentrated UVB rays.
Once you get the digi therm, you'll understand why. Oh and watch to see if Puff spends most of his time over on the cooler side ;).
Janie
Other than that, yes, that looks right nice, and functional too !

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Great job in cleaning up your viv! Looks very nice and clean. ;D

wiiiroc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
It actually hasn't gotten very hot in the viv and I am not sure why. I thought it would be boiling. But his basking area is only hanging around 90-95 degrees :(
What the heck?

And when I got home today he was basking as usual.
But I`ll continue to watch him carefully.

wiiiroc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I'm a little ticked.
Apparently this bulb comes in 125watt.
I still have the receipt and packaging. If I find out that it is too hot, do you think I could just simply exchange the 160W for the 125W?

wiiiroc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I won't be able to do it until I can be sure of the temperatures.
I just hope there isn't a problem if I have to take it back. It's not like I want my money back. I just want the other bulb! Haha.
Oh well, we'll see :)

wiiiroc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Went to WalMart today and they didn't have any digital probe thermometers. I'll try again somewhere else though.
I picked up some alfalfa, a squash, and some mixed lettuce as Puff is starting to take to food a little bit.

Super bad news though ): I thought Puff was eating his crickets! Turns out many of them gathered food and started burrowing into the Styrofoam and it looked like they wanted to make little cricket babies. So Alex and I took out the styrofoam and removed all the crickets.
Now his tank is so empty and plain and sad. That's okay, he's sleeping so I'll start working on a killer backdrop right now!
And from now on, he eats in the bathtub.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sly little crickets! I know some folks feed their beardies in a separate area. Beardies will eat their fill in a 10-15 minute period.

We chased ours around the viv when Bernie was done eating. On occasion, they would hide in the smallest crevices of his wood. Totally frustrating.

Latest posts