• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

a visitor!

crystal9534

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
we had a lovely wake up this morning. i come out of my room, go down the hall and see something hanging off our light in the dining room. i squint, cuz everyone knows that's how you see better, and i realize its a bat! a little teeny tiny bat! i call the local wildlife rescue that i used to volunteer at, and told me to use leather gloves and a tupperware container to catch him and release him. so i did just that. poor little guy had bugs on his arms :( i let him hop up on a tree out back where he chittered at me (opening and closing his mouth repeatedly) then he took off into a bigger tree further out. he was quite cute. luckily he didn't poop while he was in here. we have no idea how he got in; possibly chased a bug in while we had the door open. hopefully he didn't find a hole to get in. anyways, here's a few pics
008-1.jpg

009-1.jpg

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Nice pic! I LOVE bats.....speaking, of which, I need to get busy on my bat box.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
gorgeous! Great pic.

Aren't they sweet? I've actually got 8 of them! And 0 mosquitos!!!!!

The bugs were either fleas, lice or mites. it's ok, he can handle it.
you might however, want to spray the area he was hanging.

crystal9534

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
what should i spray it with?

most people would have freaked out and called for someone to get him. not us. we went about our morning calmly like nothing was wrong. that's what you get with a person who's worked with wildlife before.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
some sort of outside bug killer stuff.
I typically use a spectracide liquid on cheesecloth and just dab it in a 12 inch area around where they hang.

Also check the floor below. Bat guano is not good for you.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Those are very cute pictures. Please do a good search inside and outside for poop. Bats can carry Histoplasmosis. Just make sure you do not have a bat colony around your house and if you do take care of it quickly and clean up properly. Sorry, I used to love bats too, until last week when I was told I may be going blind thanks to them. They are very beatifically so they should never be exterminated, just sometimes they need to find a new home.

Jiffy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Ok, I will post with the opposite point of view!
I am TERRIFIED of bats!
One night I was riding down the road with my window down. I felt something whack me in the back of the head. I leaned forward, and he flopped down on my back. I stopped in the middle of the road and look, and it is a freaking bat in my truck. He then attached himself to my floorboard. And my dog was with me and wanted to play. I am SOOOO not a fan of bats! :eek:

crystal9534

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
i did find two little poops around the area and cleaned them up. i also sprayed bleach water and scrubbed the bricks where i found them

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good, check where you found the poop daily. If there is more poop there then there are bats living there. Keep an eye on them. Sorry I am just so scared of them now. But I do love the pictures, they are so cute.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That will do it. My dog is always opening the door too.