• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A question about UVB lights

comrade giggles

Bearded Dragon Egg
Greetings all,

So I am a new beardie momma. I have a 38w t8 UVB tube, which has been recommended to me by the shop where I got my boy (I got him from a small reptile shop, NOT a chain pet store) but I've been told that t8s are not great, and t5s are much better. I need some help to choose the right t5 bulb for him!

I have been recommended this one:

His tank is quite big (120cmx 60cm x 60cm) so I would be getting the 54w one as it is the right size. Now, my question is: do I put it on the same side as his basking bulb, or on the other side? He has an Exo Terra Intense Basking Bulb on the outside of the tank, and his basking decor is 12" from the ceiling/basking bulb. Now, my worry is that having the t5 AND the basking bulb on the same side, above the basking spot, would be too bright for him and hurt his eyes - he sometimes basks with his eyes closed.

If anyone has any other recommendations, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Greetings all,

So I am a new beardie momma. I have a 38w t8 UVB tube, which has been recommended to me by the shop where I got my boy (I got him from a small reptile shop, NOT a chain pet store) but I've been told that t8s are not great, and t5s are much better. I need some help to choose the right t5 bulb for him!

I have been recommended this one:

His tank is quite big (120cmx 60cm x 60cm) so I would be getting the 54w one as it is the right size. Now, my question is: do I put it on the same side as his basking bulb, or on the other side? He has an Exo Terra Intense Basking Bulb on the outside of the tank, and his basking decor is 12" from the ceiling/basking bulb. Now, my worry is that having the t5 AND the basking bulb on the same side, above the basking spot, would be too bright for him and hurt his eyes - he sometimes basks with his eyes closed.

If anyone has any other recommendations, please let me know. Thanks in advance!
The Pro T 5 is a great fixture and yes having it on the same side as the basking bulb is optimal so if you can do it do it-- your tank is a 107 gallon tank approx is that correct? Normal behavior w/ them closing eyes to bask -- T 8's are good but they are better w/ smaller tanks- like a 20 gallon but the T 5's are better fit for 40 + gallon tanks

Latest posts