• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A little bit advice please!

jackson882

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi all,
I've had my dragon for around 3 weeks now and everything has been fine, and I'm sure this is nothing, but she has started being very active clawing and jumping at the glass ( like she's trying to break out alot ) is that a normal type of behaviour? or she just wanting out for a bit?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi there and welcome to the forum.
This behavior is called ''glass dancing". Fairly normal for the most part..
May I ask how old apprx this dragon is ?
Also, you may wish us to do a "once over" on your equipment, lighting, and all just to make sure nothing is amiss..

jackson882

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks very much for the welcome, she is about 1 and a half years old, it's just she's been doing it alot recently,she was doing it for a good hour this morning when i was in bed, why would she be doing it? ok i will, is there something in particular i should look for in regards to the tank?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi and welcome.

If you could run down your setup, it would help -
1. How large is your viv?
2. What substrate do you have?
3. What is the temp on the hot side? cold side?
4. What do you use to take the temp?
5. What is the feeding schedule and what are you feeding?
6. What is the made and model of the UV bulb?
7. When was the last poop?

jackson882

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Is there anything i should be worried about?
im actually in the office at the moment so i can only tell you what i roughly know.
Hi and welcome.
If you could run down your setup, it would help -
1. How large is your viv?

•Height 20 inches

•Width 61 cm or 24 inches

•Length 122 cm or 48 inches

2. What substrate do you have? - bark ( cant remember the exact make)

3. What is the temp on the hot side? 91f cold side? 76 f

4. What do you use to take the temp? - thermometer ( cant remember the make sorry)

5. What is the feeding schedule and what are you feeding? morning and night - mixture of crickets, grass hoppers and mealworms

6. What is the made and model of the UV bulb? - not sure

7. When was the last poop? - there have been a few Little ones over the last few days but the last big one..... I'd say 2 or 3 days ago.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks.. Still will want those other answers though... Your thermometer, perhaps is it one of those stick on the glass kinds ? If so, they can be off by as much as 20*+/-. You'll want the digital kind, with a probe for accurate temps.
Tank seems just fine, if it is indeed 2' wide... More than enough room. I must admit some concern with bark as the substrate... some woods can emit fumes we can't smell, but will effect a reptile, under high temps. You may wish to examine other substrates.
The UVB is also a concern... to be honest, not all uvbs are appropriate for dragons.
And if you are using a linear tube, that will need changing out every 5-6 months to remain effective.
I noticed you don't list veggies as part of the diet.. Let me offer you this wonderful list.. It's color coded for ease of recognizing what is for daily consumption (Green), and what is considered a treat,(Black).
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

Many of us make a copy, and take that when we go shopping.
You will notice that meal worms don't list well as a food item for dragons..
We can help you locate other feeders, live, to help you round out that diet a bit.
I also am not seeing any type of calcium or vitamins..
For an adult, you'll want Rep Cal with D3, 2-3 days a week, sprinkled on the insects or the salad. Vitamins 1 day a week, separate from the calcium, again on the insects or the salad.

Hope this helps you out !

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh, to address your question as to why she might be doing this glass dancing..
She's an adult, may or may not have brumated, hibernation for reptiles, and if she did, she's right ready for breeding... All my adults, males, have been stomping and dancing for several weeks now..
Also, her temps might be warmer than you think... Does she perhaps spend less time in the warm side ? I understand you only have had her for 3 weeks and may not be able to answer the question of her brumating.. That's why I wanted to get this temp thing worked out..
Hope that helps out !
Oh, pictures are always welcomed too..

jackson882

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ok thanks for all that! i did forget to mention we do have calcium in the form of pellits, i think its the rep cal ur talking about, and my girlfriend has gave her veg from time to time.... might step that up a bit then. The bark we use is recommended by pets at home (big chain pet store), but they also do have sand. what would you recommend is best to use? to be honest she spends most her time in the warm side, or right under the heating bulb. we also have a heat mat for her under the bark aswell, as i live in scotland and it can get quite cold here! so when she starts doing this glass dance is the best thing to do just take her out and handle her for a bit?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ah... That helps quite a bit, your locality.
Okay, first the substrate. You can use sand, but play sand for children, sifted well, and rinsed, then allow to dry, before using.. You will also want to make sure to scoop out any waste matter as soon as it is evacuated, and change out all the sand once a month or so, to maintain less bacteria. Any kind of calcium sand should be avoided.
You can also use, paper towels, non adhesive shelf liner, ceramic sealed tiles, or slate.
As for taking her out, sure ! Just make sure she has proper basking time after eating her insects, so she can digest nicely, around 2 hours, but yes, you can handle her as much as she desires, with that basking limitation.
Now, I don't know if this is available to you locally, it is however widely available in the UK. Arcadia 12% linear tube.. Best out there, for tube uvbs. If you can lay your hands on those, and I have UK based links online, You will have her uvb well handled.
Just out of curiosity, how close can she get to the current uvb ? And her heat lamp, where is that located to where her uvb, and basking site are?
Hope that helps out !

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh, one more thing.. you can replace that heat mat under the substrate, with a Ceramic Heat element... No light, and can be ran all the time.. But, let's first see what those real temperatures are at... She can take as low as the 60's F, so if your home doesn't fall below that, I would feel comfortable without the heat mat.

jackson882

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
our uv light is on the back of the tank ( it is the long linear one, i'll check if its that one your talking about)its high up, but she cant get near touching it or anything, we leave it on for 10-12 hours a day only turning it off at night. Her heat lamp is at the right hand side of the tank, and we have a big ornament branch that covers half the tank, and is she chooses can sit right under the heat lamp or away from it, we leave the heat lamp on all the time. are we correct in doing so? I'll look into getting the sand next week. also we have nt really bathed her, was nt aware that had to be done..... whats the best way to do that? thanks again

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Turn off both at night time... See if you can get that ceramic heat element. That can be ran all day, all night.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Janie seems to have addressed everything that was on my mind. Dragons thrive with a lights on 14 hours and off 10 hours. You can pick up a timer at a local hardware store to make your life easier.

You'll want to bathe your dragon 1-2 times per week. In a bath with warm about 95F. Give a good soak for around 20 minutes.

I'll also add some links to some good articles on our main site. They discuss basic care, substrates, and such.
Bearded Dragon Care

Substrates

Hope this helps!

jackson882

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ok thanks for everything guys, i'll get onto these things asap. the only thing i am warey of is turning the heat lamp off, as i done this once before and she slept in the corner of the tank ( she usally sleeps on the branch) and when i petted her in the morning she felt cold?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She will change her sleep locations numerous times. Night temps can go down to 65F. If it gets colder, you can use a heat emitter. They produce heat without light. I've had to use one during winter months.

Latest posts