• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A little Advice on a new Beardie

StubbysMom

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, I am Stubbys Mom. Stubby is a youngster. I got him from Petco, which I've heard mixed reviews on. But the poor little guy wasnt getting adopted because he is missing a good chunk of his tail. According to the handler at Petco, he came in as a baby like that, something happened and half his tail was missing. Thus is why I named him Stubby. However I have had a couple of beardies in the past but its been like 11 years and my guy, Stubby, well he is weird and I need some advice. He loves to play in his water dish and bake on his log, however I was told that once I set up his home I should leave him alone for a couple of week, no handling. But, everytime I come into my room and he sees me, he will run up to the glass and start glass surfing. After a bit he will stop and run back to his log and he will sit there and wave his arm at me. His beard wont get black or anything. Then any time I clean his water bowl or feed him or clean, he will run up to my hand and lick it and try to climb on. I have only had him a couple of days and I don't know if I should just give in and handle him or should i still wait, or am I missing something big? He eats all his crickets and veggies.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I handled all of mine right off the bat and never had any issues. They can go thru a phase of relocation stress but I really think that it varies from dragon to dragon. So yours may be just fine to handle you just have to "listen" to him..The waving is a sign of submission kinda like I know you are bigger than me don't hurt me...

StubbysMom

Bearded Dragon Egg
Okay thank you for this information. Wasn't sure if I should handle him. He doesnt seem to mind being handled, but I will 'listen' to him. Thank you again

Latest posts