• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A digger's woes

DSMotherOfDragons

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
image.jpg
We recently changed from sand to reptile carpet, per the vet's suggestion, after my beardie got a bit of sand in her eye (for the first time in her 9 years of life). Holly has always been a digger by nature. She has a specific area of her enclosure where she likes to dig and nuzzle her belly into something soft. She's been trying to dig through this carpet, obviously to no avail, and she seems really frustrated about it. Is this something she'll get used to or can anyone suggest a type of substrate just to put in that corner where she likes to dig?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I'm thinking outside the box.... I wonder if strips of a soft fabric like fleece would work? If they were a big enough strip so she wouldn't want to eat them, it might work.

DSMotherOfDragons

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I'm thinking outside the box.... I wonder if strips of a soft fabric like fleece would work? If they were a big enough strip so she wouldn't want to eat them, it might work.
Something along those lines might work well. I think she wants a little "bed" of sorts. She digs at the regular (bedroom) carpet the same way before she snuggles in a spot.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Have you ever just tried giving her a blanket to crawl into? Maybe that's all she needs.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I might be sounding like a broken record to some but you can always go with a bioactive soil substrate. ;)

Latest posts