• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A difficult post to make

spazz

Hatchling Dragon
I have been putting this off, because I have been dreading it. Also, I suppose, I have been afraid of how you guys would react.

So anyway, here goes:

My father passed away a few weeks ago and simply left me devastated. I was simply not able to deal with taking proper care of Max, or the stress he caused me from worrying over him everyday. So, I asked the owner of a local pet store that I trust if she could take him for me and make sure he was taken care of. Due to what I was going through at the time she agreed and even gave me a store credit for later.

When I was ready to think about a pet again I decided to go with my first love and what I am good at caring for, and used my credit to get a snake. I am sure someday, down the line, I will be ready for another dragon, but I can't say when. If you guys don't hate me for what I've done, and are at all interested I will post some pics of my new snake.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, Im sorry for your loss.

I think you did the responsible thing. Life is full of tribulations, its what you learn from them to make yourself better. Again im sorry for your loss and hope you are doing well.

spazz

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks Gillie. I hope someday to start over again with another BD, only one that is a bit older and better established.

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
You shouldn't worry about a negative reaction from this community; I think I can speak for everyone here. You used your best judgement on what to do, and in the end looked out for what was best for your dragon. That's an admirable quality we can't say every owner possesses.

On a much more personal note, I can't imagine what you are going through with the loss of your father. You have my most sincerest of condolences.

Pat B

Super Moderator
Oh my....I am so sorry to hear about your father. I have been there so I know the feeling. You absolutely did the right thing and don't ever second guess yourself. No one will fault you for doing right by your beardie. You will know when the time comes in your life to get another beardie. Yes....post some pics of your snake! They are beautiful reptiles. Good luck and take care of yourself....:rolleyes:

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry about the passing of your father. I know what you're going through because mine passed away on Aug. 17, 2005 to cancer.

I was grieving so much that whatever decision I made, I regretted doing. (Losing my job.) It still hurts worse when it's your parent. I'm still trying get back to track, but nothing's the same. I'm still hurting from his passing.

spazz

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks guys. It has been a rough road. Dad's passing was so sudden, and after really good news too. He had just had surgery to remove a tumor from his colon, and it was a complete success. It had not spread, and he was supposed to make a full recovery. He was in recovery for two days, and was going to come home in a few days. He seemed full of energy, and he was in such good spirits. I went up to see him on the 12th. He looked good, and was cracking jokes and talking about what he wanted do when he was all better. Just before I left he took my hand and kissed it and told me how much he loved me, and how proud he was of me. He thanked me for all the help I had given my sister and mother and how much it meant to him that I stepped in and took his place.

On the way home that night the thought occurred to me that he had been saying goodbye to me, but I put it out of my mind. The next night he told his nurse he wasn't feeling very good and it was going to be a long night. He said he wanted to go to sleep, and the nurse, being night time, thought nothing of it. After all people sleep at night. About an hour later the nurse popped in to check on him and he was unresponsive. Just about then he coded, and they began CPR, but he never came around. About an hour later we were all there standing around him and trying to come to grips with what we were seeing.

It is all still so fresh, and unreal. I don't think I have even really begun to deal with it. I feel like I could go upstairs and see him right now.

Anyway, here is a pic of my new Girl Lyg.

image.jpg

Pat B

Super Moderator
She is beautiful. I am assuming she is a baby?? Death is never easy on those that are left behind. Your father went quickly without any lingering illness so that in itself is his blessing. When it is 'our time' to go....we have no say about it. It sounds like you have stepped up to the plate by taking care of your sister and mother. That is a good thing and you would make your father proud. My father died almost 8 years ago and there is not a day that goes by that I don't think about him. He is in a better place and just waiting patiently for my mother. You will be ok. It will take time and it always helped me to talk about my Dad. Good luck and keep us posted about your new baby! Pat B

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
New baby looks great. I remember the day of my father passing too! My brother and I were in two different cars and the both of us were hitting road block after road block. When I finally came home, I was exhausted so I went to bed. Not more than thirty seconds went by when my brother called me. He told me to get ready to go back to Dalton. My brother picked me up, raced to the hospital, running through red-lights with his flashers on in an emergency. When we got to his room, his BP was slowing, and a single tear slipped out before he died. (It's hard to write this for me.) When we left the hospital, it was after 2:00 A.M. and we didn't get home til about 4:00. I remember going to bed and waking up at 8-9 A.M. It was so quiet and different. We had to go to the funeral home to make arrangements. Then we had a huge fight because 'his mother' went against his Last Will and Testament. She offered more money than we did. S0 we had to change funeral homes because they wouldn't abide by his Last Will and Testament. Dad was cremated instead.

Here's the thing. After he died, we were evicted and ever since then, the numbers 134 seem to be lucky. Our last address number was 134 and now it's still 134. (Remind me not to take him with us when we're looking for houses.) :) I'll have to play the lottery one day with those numbers and see if they come up. :)

Latest posts