• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A different protein source?

Krypt0nite1989

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi. I was wondering if their is a different protein source for my beardie. He doesn't really care for crickets it seems, cause he keeps missing them as he goes to eat them. What other live feeder can I buy for him? Something that is a little slower.

(He seems to like the worm shaped creatures) =]

Something that is common and I could find in petsmart or something like that.

Thanks for your time.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hummm...he shouldn't be missing them. Does he look like he is off-balance at all other than missing the crix? If so, could be a Vitamin B deficiency. A pinch of brewers yeast on his greens or put directly on your finger and your finger on his gums will help.

I would switch feeders unless he won't eat crix or you want to. Figuring out why he is missing the crix is more important.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
OK just a thought.........

On 18 November he was approx 5 inches long .
He is a baby, only about 5 inches long not including his tale

Which means he could either still be learning to hunt or he can be adjusting to his home with you (Depending on wheter you got him round that same time it could be relocation stress)

You can also try to feed him in a seperate feeding bin where the cricks cant run too far.
Putting the cricks into the fridge for a few moments before feeding will also slow them down, making them easier to catch.

But like Lisa said, if he seems to have a lack of coordination / balance issue adress the problem

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
What size crix are you using? The crickets should be no longer than the width between your dragons eyes.

Krypt0nite1989

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I didn't think about feeding him in a smaller cage so the crix can't run to far away from him.

It doesn't seem to have a balancing issue. He runs around, climbs and hops just fine when it comes to doing everything else.
He has very good senses.

And thanks guys for the help.

Oh another thing. Is broccoli good for him?

Krypt0nite1989

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Now that you say that. The crix I have been trying to feed him are bigger then the width of his eyes.. a lot bigger.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Not good....the crix need to be no bigger than the space between his eyes. Grab some smaller crix and try that.

No broccolli isn't a good choice. Collard greens, escarole, bok choy, swiss chard, escarole are some good ones.

Beardie_Mommy3991

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Because broccoli looks like a mini tree, and no one wants to eat a tree :) (jk. Just go to your grocery store and ask. All those greens are super cheap and readily available at most places.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Heres a link to a food chart that has pictures of all the items Lisa stated. Maybe its just called differently where you stay and seeing what they look like will help.
It is downloadable and the foods marked in GREEN can be fed daily

Food list

Broccoli is not good as it contains a high amount of Vit C, which isnt best for dragons (No citrus is fed to dragons). Youll see in the above chart it is a blue food item, meaning feed very rarely
I personally avoid the blue / yellow and red foods. And only feed off the green and black food items

Krypt0nite1989

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ok. He now loves celery! Specially the top of them, the leaf.

He seems to really enjoy his greens, after his crix and wax worms.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Krypt0nite1989 said:
Ok. He now loves celery! Specially the top of them, the leaf.

He seems to really enjoy his greens, after his crix and wax worms.

That's not such a bad thing as long as it's only a small percentage of the greens he gets. Celery is a poor source of calcium and is actually mostly water....kind of like cucumbers. They shouldn't be used as a major part of his diet. Be sure he gets good greens like collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, endive, etc. Those are the greens he's going to get the most benefit from. I get them at my local grocery store.

Latest posts