• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

a couple questions on diet

Dennis Cronin

Juvenile Dragon
So in general Capbo is eating like a horse.

Question 1: should I be trying to limit his intake? He seems to eat whatever is crawling around his cage.

Question 2: does anyone's dragon really eat fruit? He eats most of the salad I make for him everyday but regardless of the type of fruit he seems to eat around it.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi,
1. Generally he will start to tone down his diet on his own. Time to cut back is if you notice him becoming over weight.
2. Dont worry if he doesnt like fruits. He will live just as long and healthy without them :) If your worried and you want it apart of his diet. Try strawberries.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I agree with Gillie, he will tone down his diet on his own. As far as fruit goes, we've had luck with blueberries and strawberries. Real juicy fruits seem to get her attention also like watermelon, papaya, and peaches.

Dennis Cronin

Juvenile Dragon
I thought maybe he'd go for cantaloupe but he just let it dry out and shrink up. I've tried blueberries and he ignored them. I've got some nectarines. Maybe I'll give those a shot. I got lazy and just cut up a couple raisins this morning cuz, heck, if he's not gonna eat 'em...

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Fruit should only be an occasional treat anyway, not many fruit trees in the desert/scrublands that they are native to ;) . Mine have all done very well for well over a decade, and have NEVER ever had any fruit ...