• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A Couple of Diet Questions

Jenn_Tigercat

Bearded Dragon Egg
OK I am planning on getting a beardie and want to make sure he/she gets the proper diet. I picked up the nutrition content list from Beautiful Dragons. I was wondering if any of you cut up a bunch of the greens before hand and then store them that way to feed daily. Also if I get a baby would actually fine chopping the greens in a blender be better or does it just do too much damage to the greens. Also is it OK for a hatchling to have baby lobster roaches which are about the size of pinheads if not smaller. I despise crickets though it that is what is best for it then that is what I will get. Also how long should I wait after I get him to try and feed.

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
chopping or tearing the greens small is fine. a blender will just turn them to mush. if you only have one dragon then tearing or cutting as needed will help the greens to last a little longer but you can certainly pre cut. those green bags you see on tv work great also. the rule for insects is nothing bigger than the space between the dragons eyes so it depends on how big he is when you get him/her. you can try to feed immediately if you like. some eat right away, some take a few days. the size of the greens doesnt have to be as exact as it does with insects but its generally best to do it the same. please post some pics when you get your little one:)

Jenn_Tigercat

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks Richard. I ended up getting him last night after making sure I had the proper light for him. He ate about six baby roaches (they were tiny) so I am happy about that. I do have another quick question though is it better to feed at night or in the morning?

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
BOTH if he is a juvenile, you should feed his "salad" first if possible then 30 min to an hour later feed insects in the morning. then insects again at night. babies typically eat two to three times a day just make sure after his night feeding that he has at least one hour of basking time after that feeding before his lights turn off.

Latest posts