• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

9 month old beardie

francine&momma

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi! I have a 9 month old female bearded dragon named Frankie. She just finished her second full body shed and ever since her behavior has been really off. She hasn't really been eating and she's been super hyper. Constantly running around in her tank and glass surfing. She has three lights in her tank. She is measuring at about 13 inches and she is in a 40 gallon tank. Once she gets full grown I plan on getting a larger tank but for now the 40 gallon is perfect. She has a ceramic heat emitter on he cool side of her tank that I turn on at night. I have a Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO Reptile Terrarium Lamp in her tank that is about a foot away from her basking spot. There is a Zoo Med Repti Basking Reptile Spot Lamp on the basking side. Temps on hot side range from 100 - 105 F. Cool side is about 85 F with 40-45% humidity. She gets crickets every day as well as greens (collard greens or mustard greens with yellow squash, and occasionally I give her cilantro and carrots). Three times a week she gets black soldier fly larvae in her salad. I always dust her crickets with calcium and multivitamin and she gets probiotic powder on her greens. She spends most of her time basking on her hammock or on her drift wood stick. Her substrate is reptile carpet that I switch out every other day. While she seems to be anxious for some reason she hasn't been getting dark in areas where she usually does when stressed. I am not sure where this anxiety and energy is coming from. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Does this behavior happen before or after basking? Does she poo after? May we see the enclosure, are there any other stressors? Cats dogs children? My girl got really active at around the 7-9 month mark too, technically they are coming into sexual maturity although young some females can produce eggs.

francine&momma

Bearded Dragon Egg
Does this behavior happen before or after basking? Does she poo after? May we see the enclosure, are there any other stressors? Cats dogs children? My girl got really active at around the 7-9 month mark too, technically they are coming into sexual maturity although young some females can produce eggs.
She hasn't really been basking at all for the past two days about. She usually poops in the mornings. I have her lights on a timer and when I wake up in the mornings she almost always has pooped. She also poops once in the afternoon most days. I have no other pets or children. Just me and my roommate. I have let her run around in my room (of course with supervision) and she seemed to get a lot of energy out because she is basking right now for the first time in a few days. I asked the reptile store I got her from if I needed to be prepared for her to lay eggs and they told me she will most likely not lay eggs. I will attach a picture of her enclosure. I just ordered some cling background to see if that will help her glass surfing. In the past five months that I have had her she has never seemed anxious or distraught about being able to see her reflection in the glass and she also LOVES windows. Her tank is by a window and she will by the window and look outside for hours (especially if it is raining).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 1.23.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 1.23.46 PM.png
    1,020.3 KB · Views: 12

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She hasn't really been basking at all for the past two days about. She usually poops in the mornings. I have her lights on a timer and when I wake up in the mornings she almost always has pooped. She also poops once in the afternoon most days. I have no other pets or children. Just me and my roommate. I have let her run around in my room (of course with supervision) and she seemed to get a lot of energy out because she is basking right now for the first time in a few days. I asked the reptile store I got her from if I needed to be prepared for her to lay eggs and they told me she will most likely not lay eggs. I will attach a picture of her enclosure. I just ordered some cling background to see if that will help her glass surfing. In the past five months that I have had her she has never seemed anxious or distraught about being able to see her reflection in the glass and she also LOVES windows. Her tank is by a window and she will by the window and look outside for hours (especially if it is raining).
Your tank looks good --- does the UVB fixture have a reflector in it? The glass surfing is usually a sign of wanting out --- I would look at upgrading her tank here soon--- and I recommend you place the UVB directly above the basking decor - back walls are usually not a good place for them to be --- and the UVB bulb is going to need to be changed out about a yr I recommend a month prior to

francine&momma

Bearded Dragon Egg
Your tank looks good --- does the UVB fixture have a reflector in it? The glass surfing is usually a sign of wanting out --- I would look at upgrading her tank here soon--- and I recommend you place the UVB directly above the basking decor - back walls are usually not a good place for them to be --- and the UVB bulb is going to need to be changed out about a yr I recommend a month prior to
Great! Thank you for the information :)

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Yea the only thing i can think of adding stress is , the window, or coming of age. After you add the sides make a follow up post , some bearded dragons are just crazy and will surf for no reason, as long as shes not black bearding she’ll be okay. My bearded dragon demands outside time every day and will scratch her wall to let me know she wants outside.

Attachments

• 36C04822-131D-43A4-8CBC-D8B60279F1DA.jpeg
    36C04822-131D-43A4-8CBC-D8B60279F1DA.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 10
  • F75FA175-7B78-44B4-B50E-2A3573403CF1.jpeg
    F75FA175-7B78-44B4-B50E-2A3573403CF1.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 10

francine&momma

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yea the only thing i can think of adding stress is , the window, or coming of age. After you add the sides make a follow up post , some bearded dragons are just crazy and will surf for no reason, as long as shes not black bearding she’ll be okay. My bearded dragon demands outside time every day and will scratch her wall to let me know she wants outside.
Thank you! I haven't noticed her beard or belly turning black like it would if she was really stressed out which makes me less concerned. I think it could be that she just wants to be let out. If I am sitting at my desk by her tank she will scratch at the glass until I let her out and then she's fine.

Hadenuffyet

Juvenile Dragon
Thank you! I haven't noticed her beard or belly turning black like it would if she was really stressed out which makes me less concerned. I think it could be that she just wants to be let out. If I am sitting at my desk by her tank she will scratch at the glass until I let her out and then she's fine.
I read that females will lay eggs without mating. If she is maturing maybe she’s looking for a place to dig.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I read that females will lay eggs without mating. If she is maturing maybe she’s looking for a place to dig.
She would be digging in the tank and yes they do lay infertile eggs age is questionable

Latest posts