• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

8 month old beardie lethargic and not eating suddenly

Akabillybob

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, I'm Bill, dragondad to Spazz. She is 8 months old, has been molting and eating like normal for her whole life until the past couple of weeks. Unfortunately, she has had a LOT of changes during that period. I moved her from a 20 gallon tank to a custom built ~63 gallon tank. Previously, we fed her greens and crickets with mealworms as treats but we also started adding dubias. She loves them, so we just started a colony which came in yesterday. Also ordered black soldier fly larvae and superworms, but she hasn't eaten them yet as they came in today but she won't eat anything.

When she first went into her tank ~2 weeks ago, she was happy for the space. It has a second level she can go up to bask, and she previously would go up there and spend her time basking. Now, she stays in the cool part either in her cave (built her a cave fit for a queen) or in the far corner away from the basking site. She stays there all day at times. She pooped yesterday after taking a warm bath, so I'm sure she isn't impacted.

Facts:
Basking spot is 75W Halogen about 8 inches from rocks, put in 5 days ago. The hottest spot is just under 120F (a very small area, less than a dime) and it cools quickly from there, about 105F an inch away from hottest spot. Previously had a 100W Flukers basking bulb but those are crap and die all the time (plus inefficient). I just put the 100W bulb back in to get temperatures, and after 20 minutes it is ~96F in the hottest spot. Not hot enough for a juvie from what I've read. The cold corner is 79F, and her cave is probably in the mid 70s (can't get thermal gun into it). The basking "upper level" averages 90F on the back wall. I have 2 constant digital thermometers in place, one on back wall by basking spot and one in bottom corner in cool spot. I use a thermal gun to get spot temperatures as needed.

Her UVB light was previously 5% (thanks petsmart...). I replaced it yesterday with a 10% bulb, but didn't realize the bulb was too small for her enclosure. It may have worked for her 20 gallon tank, but with the new tank I will get her the T5 24" lamp with 10% fluorescent bulb I saw recommended here. I am now aware the lights need to overlap as well, so I'll make sure the new light is co-located. I plan to center position the light on the rear part so it will cover the majority of her living space (from basking site on left to feeding spot on right).

So I guess my question is this: Would her behavior degrade over a week or two once she went into the larger tank and was not getting sufficient UVB? This seems logical to me but I'm not a herpetologist (is that the word?). Furthermore, once I get the T5 fixture in place how quickly will she turn back around?

Does anyone have any other questions/pointers that could be causing her sudden behavior change? She is too young for brumation from what I understand.

Thanks for your help! There is so much information out there it is overwhelming on which advice to follow.

Bill

First picture is from 1st week of new home. Thermostat has since been updated.

View attachment 20990
Next image is current. Note she is barely visible, just her face is sticking out behind the skull/dragon decoration.
View attachment 20991

Akabillybob

Bearded Dragon Egg
IMG_20191005_135534.jpg

IMG_20191029_190248.jpg

Akabillybob

Bearded Dragon Egg
Because the T5 is stronger and I will be mounting inside the tank (just under lid), I opted for T8 which isn't as intense. The UVB will be about 8 inches from her basking spot and I went with 18inch so it just covers her basking spot (entire second floor) That is where she should be hanging out when not eating anyways and it gives her the option to either go in her cave or to lower level.

Thinking back, her not going to her basking spot and instead laying in the corner is probably because she couldn't get UVB in basking spot (but could in corner though not strong enough).

Bill

Akabillybob

Bearded Dragon Egg
I will. I couldn't find a t8 fixture anywhere locally, so it gets delivered tomorrow. In the interim, I put the UVB CFL in the feeding port right next to the basking light this am. She seemed much more appreciative and ate A LOT. Definitely compensating for not eating much before lol.

Just to make sure I'm doing this right: on the left side will be her basking lamp, and on the back wall of left side will be UVB light. The right side, where her food will be kept, will get indirect UVB but will be much weaker given distance. Her hide will not get any UVB and will stay cool so she can chill out. Sound proper?

Bill

Akabillybob

Bearded Dragon Egg
Just giving a positive update. The reptisun light did the trick. She is eating well and much more lively. Thanks!

Bill

Attachments

• IMG_20191031_165241.jpg
    IMG_20191031_165241.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 5

Latest posts