• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

40g breeder - t5 or t8?

BriGecko

Bearded Dragon Egg
I feel like I've been researching this for so long, without coming up with a clear solution, that I may give up my dream to own a bearded dragon.

I have a 40g breeder with dimensions 36" x 18" x 17". I found a good deal for a T5 hood that includes a free 5.0 bulb. It's about $50.

My question is - would T5 be too strong? I plan to add an ornament that would allow my baby bearded dragon to bask within 9" of the light. I plan to buy the 24" hood, so the bearded dragon can get away from the UVB a little if desired. (or should I go with the 36"?)

I have a homemade egg crate/light diffuser lid. I want to mount the hood on top of the eggcrate. I'm assuming the huge holes would not filter out much of the UVB, but that was my 3rd question.

Finally - would T8 10.0 mounted inside the tank (therefore with no benefit from hood reflector) be a simpler, better approach?

Thank you if you are ae to offer advice on even one question. I'm sure these types of posts get redundant, but I am SO confused! Thanks again.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
In my opinion the T5 bulb is the best way to go! I have a 36" x 18" x18" tank and I have a 36" T5 on the mesh top, across the back of the tank and my basking bulb is in the front of the tank on the left side. Not only is the T5 a stronger light, it only needs to be changed once a year so economically it's a better. I offer a hide on both the warm side and the cool side in case they want to get out of the "sun".

I used to use the T8 bulbs and found that around the 4-5 month mark my beardies started getting lethargic and lazy. Once I changed the bulb out they were active again. However, when I changed to the T5 setup they instantly perked up and were way more active. Plus it brightened up the tank real good.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
In my opinion I am using T5 10.0 in my Izzy's set up and soon to be in my 40gal breeder for Simon it gives good light and I also have them on the wire mesh tops.

Elders

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I feel like I've been researching this for so long, without coming up with a clear solution, that I may give up my dream to own a bearded dragon.

I have a 40g breeder with dimensions 36" x 18" x 17". I found a good deal for a T5 hood that includes a free 5.0 bulb. It's about $50.

My question is - would T5 be too strong? I plan to add an ornament that would allow my baby bearded dragon to bask within 9" of the light. I plan to buy the 24" hood, so the bearded dragon can get away from the UVB a little if desired. (or should I go with the 36"?)

I have a homemade egg crate/light diffuser lid. I want to mount the hood on top of the eggcrate. I'm assuming the huge holes would not filter out much of the UVB, but that was my 3rd question.

Finally - would T8 10.0 mounted inside the tank (therefore with no benefit from hood reflector) be a simpler, better approach?

Thank you if you are ae to offer advice on even one question. I'm sure these types of posts get redundant, but I am SO confused! Thanks again.

A little late to the party here; but I am with Patsy and Hydrydr; This is what I use:

http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Repti...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

I got the 24" for my 36"L 40Gal Breeder...It provides sufficient lighting and UVB; you mentioned that you will have a place for the beardie to get up closer to it as needed; which is great.

Latest posts