• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

40 gallon Breeder

sjmudjet

Bearded Dragon Egg
hi I’ve been looking for a 40 gallon Breeder for when zard is older but most I see don’t have the doors that open in front any suggestions would be great or do you have to have one that opens on top ?

Can I just get a 40 gallon long aquarium ?

ohwonder

Bearded Dragon Egg
A 40 gallon long would have much less floor space and more height, they're generally used for displaying fish

My dragon is in an exoterra 36x18x12 (lengthxwidthxheight) enclosure and its a good size.. but ive heard mixed opinions so i would recommend one with at least 18 inches in height.

Exoterra has a great options and they show measurements too so you can be sure it will fit in the spot you want it!

(Adjusting lights to be the correct distance in tall enclosures can be a challenge)

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
or you could just buy a wood vivarium, with sliding glass front doors. I have 2 which are 48x24x24, they are perfect for an adult sized dragon. The depth is as important as the height in my opinion, as an adult will be pushing towards 2ft in length (my dragons are both almost 20 inches from tip to tip and still not fully grown) and its good if they can turn unhindered in the tank.
If the vivs are beyond your budget, many people on here have built their own with great success...its worth considering
Of course ,some may think that size viv is overkill, you can get away with smaller for sure but I wanted mine to have all the space they would ever need plus space for all their 'stuff'.
That said, I like the exoterra enclosures, they look awesome

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Bearded dragon tanks need to be measured by dimensions not gallon size because a dragon needs more floor space. The general rule of thumb is an adult dragon needs a tank that is as long as 2x it's body and as high and deep as its body is long. So a 36x18x18 Exo is the minimum size tank for an adult. Supposedly that dimension is equivalent to a 40g.

I like the front opening tanks because I'm short and it's easier for me to get my dragons or clean their tanks.

Latest posts