• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

40 gallon breeder tank alright? (Pics)

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey guys!
I'm going to pick up my little baby tomorrow and I'm really excited. :D (S)he was born in March, and the breeder says that (s)he is already bigger than the beardies that hatched a month and a half before him/her. The little fella's also eating collard greens and crickets like a champ and becoming quite colorful!

I just tiled the bottom of my 40 gallon breeder tank, and here's a picture:

tiledviv.jpg

I'm going to add in a few more decorative rocks and maybe a nice tank background, but I think for now this is fine. What do you guys think? Do you think this tank will be able to last his/her whole life? I know the little guy's growing very quickly, but it'd be really nice if I didn't have to buy another tank down the line. :p Do you think 40B will suffice if I give him/her a lot of out-of-the-tank playtime when it grows up? XD

Oh, and I just found this picture on my photobucket - Wrex's first viv. 10 gallons, sand-filled, compact UVB bulb, no heat lamp... UGH! Thank you SO much for helping me learn how to properly take care of a lizard. Seriously, this picture makes me angry at my own stupidity by just looking at it.

IMG_1221.jpg

If you guys have any helpful suggestions for my current viv, please share! ^_^

pscaulkins

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
A 40G B tank is fine for an adult. I have two of them. ;) Do not blame yourself for being a newbie, we have all been there at one point I'm sure or at least I have. I have had beardies for 6 years and I listened to a pet shop salesman and ended up returning a lot of what I bought the first time. ::)

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I love the new set up. Your first tank looks the same way mind did. You have fixed it and that is all that matters. You did you best with Rex(that was his name right, if not I am so sorry) and that is what matters.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Congrats on the new one . . .
Your setup looks really really nice.

Waiting for pics of the new little one INSIDE the awesome new viv

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Not stupidity..Ignorance.
We've all done this.. and we have all learned..
Looks good.. I wouldn't add more, you want floor area where this new one be able to roam around.. Also, remove the hide, so you can watch the dragons' behaviors. Just for a few weeks.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Looks great. You are doing a wonderful job.

A couple of things...that little plant, does it have some kind of rock or pea stone in it to keep the plant in? If so, I wouldn't use it. Chance are it is going to get knocked over and make a mess. Also whatever is in it, your beardie could eat.

The large plant...real or fake?

I had the same wooden hide and Spyro loved it. The only thing I did different with it was I took a knife and rubbed it all over the top where the bark it and got most of that off. I was finding that Spyro was scratching it with his nails and pieces of bark were falling off. I didn't want him to eat any of it.

That's it....the tiles look great and so does the rest of the tank. I wouldn't put anything else in.

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Aw, thanks guys! I'm glad that I seem to have done it right this time. XD

I was planning on keeping the center of the floor open for him to dash around in. The extra rocks I was going to pile up by the green plant thing, since Wrex always loved hiding in there but occasionally would fall out. I want this little guy to have something to sit on if he decides to hide in the leaves. :p

Now, as for Li's questions...

The little plant is an extremely soft and fuzzy cactus pad. It has the same texture as velvet - I'm pretty sure my poodle has more spikes in it. It's secured in the pot with a few small rocks (not a lot of dirt, easy to clean up) And I'd often find Wrex trying to sleep in one of the pads. If you think it might be bad for the new lizard if eaten, I'll remove it when he starts taking interest in it. I read on a few caresheets online that prickly pear cactus and soft cactus pads were good for beardies, but you guys know more than me so I'll take your advice. :p

The hanging plant is plastic and secured on with a suction cup. My friend who's owned beardies for seven years says that (s)he might try to eat it once (s)he starts developing a taste for plants, so I'll take them out when that happens. XD I plan on remodeling for a larger beardie anyway - the basking spot I have now is good for a little guy, but it's a bit knobbly for the big fat belly of a full grown bearded dragon. I'll take the plant out then, since I doubt he'd be able to climb it at that point.

And good call with the hiding spot! I never thought of stripping it. Wrex would sometimes get confused and try to eat the bark when hunting for crickets, and this makes a whole lot more sense.

Thanks guys!

Latest posts