• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

4 month old beardie won’t eat salad

turtlesykes

Bearded Dragon Egg
I can’t get my beardie to eat salads at all. My husbandry is correct, and I’ve tried things like mixing bsfl in the salad, tong feeding, putting roaches in it, topping it with flowers, I’ve even tried different types of greens like turnips, collards, kale, cilantro, and dandelion greens. I did trick him into taking a bite of the dandelion greens but he spit it out. The only thing he has actually ate was a small piece of bell pepper and that was it. I’ve also placed the salad in an area where he usually walks through and nothing. I’ve ran out of ideas and am officially stumped on what else to try. I feel bad because he acts hungry but I don’t want to feed him too many bugs and make this salad rebellion last even longer.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I can’t get my beardie to eat salads at all. My husbandry is correct, and I’ve tried things like mixing bsfl in the salad, tong feeding, putting roaches in it, topping it with flowers, I’ve even tried different types of greens like turnips, collards, kale, cilantro, and dandelion greens. I did trick him into taking a bite of the dandelion greens but he spit it out. The only thing he has actually ate was a small piece of bell pepper and that was it. I’ve also placed the salad in an area where he usually walks through and nothing. I’ve ran out of ideas and am officially stumped on what else to try. I feel bad because he acts hungry but I don’t want to feed him too many bugs and make this salad rebellion last even longer.
Keep offering salads but his main diet is protein do not keep him from that - dragons are stubborn so just keep offering his salads - you have a good variety of greens going and keep using the BSFL on top of his salads - how many insects / bugs are you feeding him? BSFL are another good staple - maybe cut back on the amount of insects your feeding and give him more BSFL on the salads that way he will get both -- so in a sense your not cutting back on the bugs your feeding because hes still getting the BSFL -

turtlesykes

Bearded Dragon Egg
Keep offering salads but his main diet is protein do not keep him from that - dragons are stubborn so just keep offering his salads - you have a good variety of greens going and keep using the BSFL on top of his salads - how many insects / bugs are you feeding him? BSFL are another good staple - maybe cut back on the amount of insects your feeding and give him more BSFL on the salads that way he will get both -- so in a sense your not cutting back on the bugs your feeding because hes still getting the BSFL -
I was giving him 10 dubia roaches but I’ve cut that down to 7 in hopes he would get more interested in the salad. I top the salad with 8 or so bsfl but he’s so stubborn he carefully picks the bsfl out of the salad and doesn’t eat any greens lol

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I was giving him 10 dubia roaches but I’ve cut that down to 7 in hopes he would get more interested in the salad. I top the salad with 8 or so bsfl but he’s so stubborn he carefully picks the bsfl out of the salad and doesn’t eat any greens lol
Sneaky little fart :) --- increase the BSFL hes bound to eat more salad w/ more BSFL in the bowl - go w/ 20-25 and feed the dubias after hes had salad first thing in the morning w/ BSFL -- you can also use silk worms on top of the salads they stick to everything -- www.reptilianarts.com

turtlesykes

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sneaky little fart :) --- increase the BSFL hes bound to eat more salad w/ more BSFL in the bowl - go w/ 20-25 and feed the dubias after hes had salad first thing in the morning w/ BSFL -- you can also use silk worms on top of the salads they stick to everything -- www.reptilianarts.com
I’ll add silk worms to my next bug order! Thanks for the advice, he is indeed a sneaky little fart.

Yvonne G

Administrator
3 Year Member
Try cutting up the greens into very tiny pieces, then wet it and mix in the roaches so the small pieces of greens stick to the bugs. Hopefully in this way he'll soon get used to the flavor of the greens and learn that it is also edible.

turtlesykes

Bearded Dragon Egg
Let me know how it goes
Well today he finally ate some!! I gave him kale/cilantro first thing in the morning and put off feeding bugs for a few hours and he ate a couple pieces of the salad so I fed him some roaches and I checked later on and the salad was almost gone. I didn’t really do anything different except feeding the bugs a little later than normal. Tried that before but I guess he was just less stubborn today lol