• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

4 month female & 8 month female

dragonMommie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hello everyone,

OK so here is my question :what does it mean when 1 female waves her arm slowly & bobs her head just a little to another female?

OK I have an enclosure of 4ft X 2ft X 18, they keep passing each other, like trying to stay away< but the minute one gets too close the other turns to see where she went off too....it was explained to me that i wouldn't have a problem as long as they were around the same size, they may not be exactly the same size but their both big girls, what can i do?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Honestly, I would separate them. Hand waving is a sign of submission.

There are success stories of housing beardies together, but there are more horror stories than success. Based on your description, it sounds like one may attack the other.

Here's a link to an article provided to mybeardie.com by crypticdragons. It goes into a bit detail of what could happen when housing multiple dragons together:
Housing Multiple Dragon Together

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok first let me clear up something. Its not that you wont have issues when housing multiple females its that you have a lower likelyhood of having problems than when housing a male/female or male/male. Females will still fight each other depending on the female. I have 1 female that if she so much as catches a glance of another dragon she attacks the door of her tank trying to get at it. Full beard and headbob just like a male, because she is a alpha female. What it sound to me is you have a female that is dominant and a female that is submissive. the submissive female will eat less and bask less than the dominant female. Your best bet is going to be splitting that tank with a partition such as taped in cardboard (taped securely so they cant get through). They will each need a basking site and uv light. This way they each have a 24x24x24 tank for the time being until you can get/build another tank.

dragonMommie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
OK yeah cuz it's weird the new comer eats almost all the food and then the old one takes the basking lights :-\ but I will separate them because God Forbid I wake up to a dead dragon, I would never forgive myself. Thank u both for your advice, I appreciate it.

Latest posts