• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

3-4 month old beardie sick??

madelinew

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi! I got my beardie in the beginning of October when he was a little less than a month old so he's now around 3 or 4 months. Since the end of December he's been breathing heavily (opening his mouth while his ribs visibly puff in and out) and sometimes when he opens his mouth it makes a sort of popping noise. I first thought it was the beginning of a respiratory infection since I lived with my grandparents and they keep the heat high so I was thinking his humidity was too high. I went to an exotic pet vet and the doctor never officially diagnosed him with anything which I thought was a little odd but I trust them. He's been getting 0.01 ml antibiotic every 72 hours since January 11th and he's now at my parents' house where the temperature is more regulated. I'm just a little lost on what is wrong with him or if anything even is wrong with him??? The mouth opening doesn't seem to be an aggression thing and he doesn't seem to be in any pain, isn't lazy or lethargic (when he's active throughout the day he's super hyper and likes to run, climb, and jump but doesn't seem stressed out)
He's in a 20 gallon tank with a 100w basking bulb on one side and a T8 10.0 uvb tube light on the other side, there's about a 6in distance from the highest he can get to the uvb. his temps range from 75 at night to 95 during the day, humidity around 19-23%. He eats around 10 bsfl every morning mixed with super finely chopped collard greens and some bee pollen powder, he eats all the worms and only eats the greens on accident. He gets around 3-6 quarter inch dubias later in the day with fluckers D3 dustings 3 days a week. He has a water bowl in his tank and drinks out of it only if I start dropping the water on his nose or if I place his front arms in it. He poops healthy poops every other day, gets a bath maybe every other week, I handle him at least 5 minutes everyday or every other day and make sure to watch his body language so he doesn't get stressed out or scared. He seems to me to be pretty healthy I just can't figure out why breathes heavy every once and a while and makes a popping noise when he opens his mouth.
IMG_1340.jpg
(ignore the 30% humidity and 79 degree temperature this picture was from the beginning of January while his enclosure was still at my grandparents house)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi! I got my beardie in the beginning of October when he was a little less than a month old so he's now around 3 or 4 months. Since the end of December he's been breathing heavily (opening his mouth while his ribs visibly puff in and out) and sometimes when he opens his mouth it makes a sort of popping noise. I first thought it was the beginning of a respiratory infection since I lived with my grandparents and they keep the heat high so I was thinking his humidity was too high. I went to an exotic pet vet and the doctor never officially diagnosed him with anything which I thought was a little odd but I trust them. He's been getting 0.01 ml antibiotic every 72 hours since January 11th and he's now at my parents' house where the temperature is more regulated. I'm just a little lost on what is wrong with him or if anything even is wrong with him??? The mouth opening doesn't seem to be an aggression thing and he doesn't seem to be in any pain, isn't lazy or lethargic (when he's active throughout the day he's super hyper and likes to run, climb, and jump but doesn't seem stressed out)
He's in a 20 gallon tank with a 100w basking bulb on one side and a T8 10.0 uvb tube light on the other side, there's about a 6in distance from the highest he can get to the uvb. his temps range from 75 at night to 95 during the day, humidity around 19-23%. He eats around 10 bsfl every morning mixed with super finely chopped collard greens and some bee pollen powder, he eats all the worms and only eats the greens on accident. He gets around 3-6 quarter inch dubias later in the day with fluckers D3 dustings 3 days a week. He has a water bowl in his tank and drinks out of it only if I start dropping the water on his nose or if I place his front arms in it. He poops healthy poops every other day, gets a bath maybe every other week, I handle him at least 5 minutes everyday or every other day and make sure to watch his body language so he doesn't get stressed out or scared. He seems to me to be pretty healthy I just can't figure out why breathes heavy every once and a while and makes a popping noise when he opens his mouth.
View attachment 31498 (ignore the 30% humidity and 79 degree temperature this picture was from the beginning of January while his enclosure was still at my grandparents house)
You have a good set for lighting but how are you getting that basking temp? It should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- please get your T 8 unobstructed T 8's are not strong enough to go thru screen and distance should be 6-8 inches w/ basking decor directly under neath

madelinew

Bearded Dragon Egg
You have a good set for lighting but how are you getting that basking temp? It should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- please get your T 8 unobstructed T 8's are not strong enough to go thru screen and distance should be 6-8 inches w/ basking decor directly under neath
I am currently using a mini cordless hygrometer. Do you have a digital probe thermometer that you recommend? The screen has very big openings, before I had the light unobstructed with no screen on top but I kept finding him climbing up the leaves all the way to the opening on his tank, sometimes even holding onto the lip of the tank like he was ready to jump out!! I understand the importance of uvb’s for beardies so is there a way he can get enough exposure to it without having to remove the screen and risking him hurting himself? Would a T5 bulb be better than the T8?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am currently using a mini cordless hygrometer. Do you have a digital probe thermometer that you recommend? The screen has very big openings, before I had the light unobstructed with no screen on top but I kept finding him climbing up the leaves all the way to the opening on his tank, sometimes even holding onto the lip of the tank like he was ready to jump out!! I understand the importance of uvb’s for beardies so is there a way he can get enough exposure to it without having to remove the screen and risking him hurting himself? Would a T5 bulb be better than the T8?
Take the UVB fixture and set it width wise on the tank on the end then take the screen and butt it up to the UVB fixture - A T5 would be ok on top of the screen if its a wide hole type - distance would need to be 8-10 inches w/ basking decor directly underneath - you could also take the leaves out so she cant climb up to the top of the tank - that too is a option - I am posting a pic of my 20 gallon tank when I had Blaze in it for reference - I had the UVB in the center of the tank w/ the basking bulb clamped on the end but I had no decor in there tall enough for him to get out -

Attachments

• IMG_20190914_084426.jpg
    IMG_20190914_084426.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 11

madelinew

Bearded Dragon Egg
Take the UVB fixture and set it width wise on the tank on the end then take the screen and butt it up to the UVB fixture - A T5 would be ok on top of the screen if its a wide hole type - distance would need to be 8-10 inches w/ basking decor directly underneath - you could also take the leaves out so she cant climb up to the top of the tank - that too is a option - I am posting a pic of my 20 gallon tank when I had Blaze in it for reference - I had the UVB in the center of the tank w/ the basking bulb clamped on the end but I had no decor in there tall enough for him to get out -
Okay thank you I will look into getting him a T5 fixture. I like to keep the leaves there because he loves to climb them as he’s super active. Is a probe thermometer crucial or should I keep the one I have in there now? Also do you have any guesses to what his breathing problems may be or any possible sicknesses I should look into?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay thank you I will look into getting him a T5 fixture. I like to keep the leaves there because he loves to climb them as he’s super active. Is a probe thermometer crucial or should I keep the one I have in there now? Also do you have any guesses to what his breathing problems may be or any possible sicknesses I should look into?
Yes the digital probe thermometer is a MUST- and so is the uvb it needs to be correct for your dragon get rid of the RI that it sounds like he has -how much longer is he on the antibiotic? you can get a zoo med digital probe thermometer- that is what most use get two of them-- Optimal is 40-50% nothing under 20% nothing over 70% so humidity is ok

madelinew

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes the digital probe thermometer is a MUST- and so is the uvb it needs to be correct for your dragon get rid of the RI that it sounds like he has -how much longer is he on the antibiotic? you can get a zoo med digital probe thermometer- that is what most use get two of them-- Optimal is 40-50% nothing under 20% nothing over 70% so humidity is ok
Okay I will be getting the digital probe thermometers asap. He has one shot left that he’ll get on February 2nd and no follow up appointment because it’s expensive. I’m assuming the breathing issue developed from humidity but the highest I’ve seen it at was around 40% so I’m still stumped on what I did wrong to cause this.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay I will be getting the digital probe thermometers asap. He has one shot left that he’ll get on February 2nd and no follow up appointment because it’s expensive. I’m assuming the breathing issue developed from humidity but the highest I’ve seen it at was around 40% so I’m still stumped on what I did wrong to cause this.
40 is good believe it or not too low humidity will cause RI's but the 19% is fine did you give him a bath and he maybe aspirated some water? Get your uvb placed correctly now give him his last dose of the antibiotic then see how the popping noise is going hopefully w/ the uvb fixed and last dose of med it will clear up - but you also need the basking temp correct if you can keep him warmer at nite like around 80 or so that's gonna help him fight it off too at least till he's feeling better you might want to invest in a ceramic heat emitter- they have heat no light- as far as bulb I would try a 75 since it's a 20 gallon- I am using a 100 on my 120 gallon

madelinew

Bearded Dragon Egg
40 is good believe it or not too low humidity will cause RI's but the 19% is fine did you give him a bath and he maybe aspirated some water? Get your uvb placed correctly now give him his last dose of the antibiotic then see how the popping noise is going hopefully w/ the uvb fixed and last dose of med it will clear up - but you also need the basking temp correct if you can keep him warmer at nite like around 80 or so that's gonna help him fight it off too at least till he's feeling better you might want to invest in a ceramic heat emitter- they have heat no light- as far as bulb I would try a 75 since it's a 20 gallon- I am using a 100 on my 120 gallon
Ahh okay, when I give him baths he stays in a short tupperware and I always monitor him and keep his nose and ears dry by blotting them with tissue or qtips. Your information has been the most helpful I can’t thank you enough. I will get the two thermometers, a T5 uvb and place it width wise, and look into the ceramic heat emitter. Thank you again Sadie!!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ahh okay, when I give him baths he stays in a short tupperware and I always monitor him and keep his nose and ears dry by blotting them with tissue or qtips. Your information has been the most helpful I can’t thank you enough. I will get the two thermometers, a T5 uvb and place it width wise, and look into the ceramic heat emitter. Thank you again Sadie!!
W/ the T 5 it can sit on the screen but your T 8 needs to be unobstructed- till the T 5 comes in get your T 8 corrected- when the T 5 comes in get the basking decor 8-10 inches- T 8 6-8 inches

Latest posts