• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

23 Watt CFL FLOOD LIGHT

Mbuxx

Bearded Dragon Egg
can i use this in place of a heat lamp?

specs are 1200 Lumes / 23 watts/ (replacement of 75 watt)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am guessing that this is a fluorescent coil??? NO!!! While it may throw as much light as a 75W incandescent, it will not provide the needed heat to reach the desired temps. Fluorescent bulbs emit very little heat in comparison to an incandescent.

Mbuxx

Bearded Dragon Egg
After purchasing a 75 watt and 100 watt light from pet store, I went to Walmart and got a 90 watt halogen. The other two lights could only get to 90 and 98. After 4 hours i came down to check the temp, here are the basking spot and cool spot with a probe thermometer.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358033943.600434.jpg

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think I am understanding that you are using the sensor\probe to measure the cool side & the Main display unit to measure the basking spot. This should be reversed so the sensor\probe can be placed\attached directly on\to the basking spot. There is a surprising difference in temps directly below the heat bulb compared to 5"-6" off to the side. Here is an example pic of one of my enclosures a while back showing the proper use of indoor\outdoor thermometers ... The main display units are mounted with Velcro strips to insulate & keep the unit away from being directly affected by the temp of the glass, which is affected as much by the outside ambient room temps as by the inside environment.

TEMPS011Text800x600.jpg

Mbuxx

Bearded Dragon Egg
The probe is attached directly to the basking spot.. It's a wire that runs under the sand.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My apologies for misunderstanding, from the pic showing only the display & not the whole setup, it appeared that the rock in front of the display may have been what you are using for the Basking Spot & by your description ...
here are the basking spot and cool spot with a probe thermometer.
is what I understood :confused:.

Mbuxx

Bearded Dragon Egg
Oh haha I getcha. Nah, that's the feeding dish haha. What I meant was this thermometer uses 2 probes and one is in cool spot and one in basking ;)